This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

When I use the word “addict” I may be slightly exaggerating, although it feels like I am one sometimes. As a girl who has always enjoyed makeup, I never thought there was much more to it and I couldn’t have been more wrong. It all started with freshman year of college when I met my random roommate who appreciated makeup just as much as I did. What we didn’t know was putting the two of us together would turn the makeup appreciation into a slight obsession.

All of a sudden, I had someone around day and night to try new products with and that’s where the trouble began. Anytime she purchased something new I had to try it and vice versa. That may seem pretty harmless, but this resulted in one of three ways: 1) I loved the product and had to buy it 2) The product was alright and reminded me of another product I wanted to try 3) I was completely let down by the product and had to do research to find one I would love. Essentially, all three outcomes result in a purchase at one point or another.

The next biggest contribution to the makeup passion was YouTube. Makeup artist after makeup artist supply us with never ending tutorials on any look possible. There are videos talking about certain products, techniques for using those products, and professionals showing us how it’s done altogether. The dangerous part of YouTube is there is literally no possible way to watch every video. Instead, I tend to go on binges of what I’m looking for. If a new product comes out that I need to know about, it wouldn’t be enough just to watch just one review, I need to see at least five. By the end of a YouTube session it may be three hours later and I question what I am doing with my life.

My real problem is that makeup and my bank account do not agree with one another. Specifically, the makeup I would actually like to buy is where the problem comes in. Of course I would love to buy my favorite products in every single color and be able to experiment with high-end instead of drugstore, but it is nowhere near realistic. I have come to understand that it is impossible to buy everything on my dream makeup list; I really do have one, and also that it would not be healthy for me to own any makeup product I wish for. At the end of the day, I am a working college student who has special occasions very rarely. It would be absurd for me to have some huge high-end makeup collection.

We can certainly love makeup, and even obsess a little bit, so long as we don’t forget the difference between what we need and what we want. From one makeup addict to another, I wish you the best in your collection. One college student to another, always remember, dupes are your best friend!

HCXO!

Alex is an easy going and bubbly person who has a passion for all things creative. She is pursuing a degree in Psychology at Valdosta State University and loving her experiences along the way. Instagram & Twitter: alex_gmann
Her Campus at Valdosta State.