This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

This past Sunday was National Coming Out Day. Yes, there’s an actual day for that, as there should be. We live in a society where being anything other than heterosexual is frowned upon. The Supreme Court ruled gay marriage in all fifty states this year, and yet there are still people trying to deny the rights of others. It’s understandable that when people are being killed because of their sexuality, one would hide. But no one should have to live in a world where they have to hide a piece of who they are. I personally don’t believe that my sexuality defines my entire existence.  It’s just a part of who I am.

Everyone’s experiences with coming out are different. There are horror stories where some people are disowned by their family and friends. Some stories are great and when there out it’s as if nothing changed. If your thinking of coming out the advice I have for you is this: whatever happens good or bad don’t stop being and loving yourself. If you loose people in the midst of it, that just leaves room for better people who accept you for who you are. There are plenty of people in this world who will accept you for who you are, and support you.

If someone comes out to you, don’t be rude no mater what. Even if you don’t agree with the choices someone makes for his or her own life. After all, who are you to judge, right? It’s ok to ask questions about things you may not understand, just do it in a non-hurtful matter. This process can be difficult. You were important enough in someone’s life for him or her to tell you, so take this into consideration.

Its easier said than done but I encourage everyone that is hiding his or her sexuality to let it be known! Be brave! We live in a society where everyone assumes that everyone is straight. Lets change that, show the world that different types sexualities exist. And whichever one you identify with is perfectly ok.

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.