Campus Curl Chronicles: Maya Newsome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Maya Newsome

Classification: Junior

Major: Early Childhood Education

HC: How long have you been natural?

MN:  It will be four years in May!

HC: How would you describe your hair texture?

MN: I have 4B hair type and 4C in my crown! My hair is incredibly THICK but I can pretty much manipulate it to do what I want, just takes some time. I have to be really patient with my hair but I love it!

HC: What is your favorite or most convenient hair style?

MN: I love a good high bun! I am often in the classroom teaching so I like having it up. Nothing compares to having BIG HAIR. I feel free when I wear it like that.

HC: Name some of your staple products. Shampoo, conditioner (deep), leave-in, etc.

MN: She Moisture is everything! I absolutely love their company. I love the mind behind the business which benefits struggling families – specifically mothers. Their products are whole, natural and organic and I like knowing what I’m putting in my hair and how it will benefit me. I use the Black Soap Shampoo to cleanse, the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Milk to style, the Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner and the coconut oil to seal!

HC: What is a wash day like for you?

MN: If I can have the night before, I will detox my hair with an Apple Cider Vinegar solution. I twist my hair into big twists and saturate the sections with the mixture. This detoxes my hair shaft and the roots and removes product buildup. I put on a plastic cap and head to bed. The next morning, I rinse my hair of the solution and finger detangle. Then, I wash my hair with the Black Soap Shampoo. My hair feels so clean! Then I style how I want depending on how I’m feeling!

HC: What are some of the most common problems you face when styling your hair? How do you combat these issues?

MN: My most common problem is time. I work a part time job that requires me to travel bimonthly, I student teach, volunteer, president of an organization, performer and I’m taking 17 hours of class. Time is something I don’t have a lot of. I have to find time to nourish my hair in between activities. I have deep conditioned on the go before. You just have to find time to love your locs!

HC: What are two do’s and don’ts when it comes to your hair?

MN:

Do: Let your styles be carefree, natural hair is supposed to be fun!

Don’t: Style your hair when you’re angry, frustrated, or busy. You ended up getting frustrated and hurting your hair.

Do: Give it plenty of moisture because it needs it.

Don’t: Comb through dry hair. At least make it damp–lightly spritz! 

HC: Is there anything you want to try on your hair that is out of your comfort zone?

MN: I have been thinking about cutting my hair into a pixie like style which would definitely take me out of my comfort zone! It would be really fun to try something new!

HC: How does your hair make you feel?

MN: My hair is really important to me. I got relaxers for 12 years of my life because neither I nor my mother knew how to style my hair. During those years, I never felt a time when I loved my hair. My hair now makes me feel confident, beautiful, and strong.

HC: Any words of advice to ladies with the same hair type as you?

MN: Hair envy is a dangerous thing ladies! Unfortunately, we will never have the smooth ringlets and that’s okay. Twist it out, Bantu knot it, and rock it! It’s your hair so love it!

HCXO!

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.