Campus Celebrity Shaniya Cisco ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Meet Shaniya Cisco ! She is an amazingly beautiful individual with an outstanding personality! Continue to read below to know a little more about her!   

Name: Shaniya Cisco

Hometown: Clayton County

Major: Pre-Nursing

Classification: Junior

HC: Let’s Start off with what inspired you to come to Valdosta State University! 

SC: With being a city girl, my main goal when searching for a college was change. I wanted to branch out from what I’ve known for so long. With Valdosta being 3 hours from the Atlanta area, I was able to open a new chapter in my life with new scenery and people. Valdosta State University caught my attention by its wide range of diversity and ample amount of opportunities to be involved and grow with the student body. The Nursing Program here at VSU really sealed the deal with being ranked one of the top in the state of Georgia. After visiting Valdosta with its beautiful campus and positive vibes from all of the faculty and students, I knew it was the place for me. 

HC: What is your favorite thing about VSU?

SC: My favorite thing about VSU is the helpful resources that the school gives its students. From being able to get your resume’ polished at career opportunities to being able to stop at student life for community service involvement to even making it more convenient to handle all student concerns at the One Stop Spot in the UC. VSU does its best to provide a helping hand to all students. 

HC: What all are you involved with on/off campus? 

SC:: On campus, I am the community service chair of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., the secretary of Media Arts Geniuses, the parliamentarian of NAACP, a member of habitat for humanity and A.S.A. for the VP of Finance and Administration. Off campus, work as a volunteer for Heritage Healthcare of Valdosta and Habitat for Humanity. 

HC: With all the activities and organizations you participate in, what is your best advice on time management? 

SC: Time management is extremely important with being involved so much on campus. My advice would be to get a planner and keep up with everything you have to do. Don’t overwhelm yourself by setting multiple things up at the same time but instead give yourself a few minutes in between to get a bite to eat and a breather. As long as you are mentally prepared for the morning by knowing what exactly you have to do and how you’re going to go about doing it then it will be a smooth day. 

HC: What is your favorite Hobby?

SC: Dancing!! I dance for fun, when I’m having a bad day when I’m trying to inspire someone and so forth. Dance is the way I express myself and it has been apart of my life since I was a little girl. It ranges from delivering someone from a problem they are having through praise dance to putting on a good half-time show to boost the hype of a championship game. It’s so influential (and a workout lol) and I enjoy every chance I get to dance!

HC: What are your best qualities? 

SC: My best qualities are empathy, consistency, honesty, communication, and flexibility. 

HC: What inspires you the most?

SC: My inspiration comes from all the positive people God has put in my life from my family to my 23 sisters to my teachers and even my coworkers. I always have someone that sees in me what I can’t see in myself at times. Someone to motivate me and that sees such great things in my future. I feel like I have an army routing for me and that the only way I can win the battle is if I put forth the actions that they believe I have.  

HC: What is your favorite quote?

SC: “Don’t practice until you get it right, practice until you can’t get it wrong!”

HC: Last but not least, if you can give advice on anything what would it be? 

SC: Be yourself! Never feel like you have to change yourself for the next person. If someone doesn’t appreciate you for who you are, then it’s their loss. You have to keep moving forward and being YOU! You feel like you don’t fit it? Don’t try to conform to the way it seems you’re supposed to act as a college student but instead use your uniqueness to inspire others and show that it’s okay to be different. Yes, college is the place where you find yourself and who you are supposed to be. But it’s the place to find yourself and you can’t do that trying to be like those around you. Remain true to yourself and all that you stand for.

HCXO!

Freshman at Valdosta State University, Love fashion,positive vibes, and laughing! Enjoying every day like it's my last.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.