This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Meet Campus Celebrity Petey Powers! You may have caught this guy in the front row of the student section at baskeball games leading the Complex Crazies or seen him behind the scenes, working hard in his Mass Media classes. He’s in a New York state of mind and find out why below!

Name: Peter “Petey” Powers

Major: Mass Media

Hometown: East Meadow, New York

Classification: VSU 2016

Student Organizations/Involvement: National Society of Leadership & Sucess and a leader of the Complex Crazies (VSU Basketball Spirit Section)

Introvert or Extrovert: Both!

HC: Hey Petey! Since you are one of our featured Campus Celebrity for this week, tell us who a few of your favorite celebrities are!

Petey: I would probably have to go with one of my favorite athletes or rappers…so I’ll say it is between Carmelo Anthony, Aaron Rodgers, and Big Sean.

HC: Share with us a few fun facts about yourself.

Petey: I’m pretty sure I’ve seen every episode of FRIENDS at least once. I fill in as the PA Announcer at some of the VSU basketball games so if you’ve gone to any of the games in the last year, you’ve probably heard my voice over the speaker system. People tell me all the time that I kind of look like Drake. I don’t really see it. Mass media classes keep me pretty busy, but when I’m not doing something for class, you’ll probably see me at one of the VSU sporting events cheering on the Blazers! Also, you can’t go wrong with a game of FIFA or 2K.

HC: Well, when you are working on things for your classes, what keeps you motivated? What is the ultimate goal you want to reach?

Petey: I know a lot of the things I’m doing now in my classes and outside of class will pay off in the long run so that really keeps me going. In mass media, we get a lot of hands on experience so the more experience I get doing what I want to do, the better. My goal is to be a sports broadcaster and do play-by-play announcing for basketball, football, or baseball. I’ve gotten some awesome opportunities to get experience here at some of the VSU sporting events and it’s so much fun!

HC: It seems that VSU has been a perfect fit for you in terms of your major and helping you get closer to accomplishing your goals. Why did you decide to come to VSU in the first place?

Petey: I came to VSU because I knew I wanted to find a school in state that had a good broadcasting program along with a good athletics program. When I came down for my visit, I could tell VSU had both and it was pretty much a no brainer to come here.

HC: As you time here at VSU draws to a close, what kind of legacy do you hope to leave at this campus? 

Petey: I’m not really sure what kind of legacy I would like to leave at VSU yet. As far as my organizations go, I would definitely like to get the Complex Crazies back to where they were back in the early 2000s as far as the numbers go. We are always working hard to try and recruit students to come cheer on the Blazer basketball teams and be a part of one of the best students sections in Division II! 

HC: To close us out today – we would love for you to sum up yourself in three words. The rumor is that you’re single and we are positive that many ladies out there would love to get to know such a driven, funny guy like yourself!

Petey: Cool, calm, and collected. I feel like I’m a pretty even keel person. If I’m doing something and it goes wrong, I normally will just go with the flow and try to not get upset over it. If things do go right the first time, don’t worry and just go for it again.

Catch up with Petey on his Twitter – @PeteyPowers – for live tweeting of different sports games and funny sports memes! HCxo!

University: Valdosta State University Major: American Sign Language & Interpretation Likes: eating doughnuts, going for a run, & doing paperwork Dislikes: tomatoes + lettuce on my cheeseburger, bad attitudes, & walking through mud in white Keds Follow Me: @brokenseaglass + @kekrivsky (Twitter/Instagram)
Her Campus at Valdosta State.