Campus Celebrity Jarius Leavy ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Our campus celebrity this week has his hands in many organizations at VSU! Between being a member of SGA, Alpha Phi Alpha, Black Student League, and Collegiate Men of VSU, it’s impossible to miss him on campus. Meet Jarius Leavy!

Name: Jarius LeavyAge: 22Classification: SeniorMajor: Criminal Justice, Sociology minorHometown: Forest Park, Ga (Clayco)HC: What organizations are you involved in at VSU?

JL: A man of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated. SGA Secretary, CMVSU, and BSL.

HC: What made you come to VSU?

JL: I went on a college tour way back in 9th grade and, after seeing the front lawn, I was sold. VSU was also one of the furthest schools from home that I could attend while still receiving the Georgia HOPE Scholarship.HC: Who or what inspires you the most?

JL: Isaiah Smart would probably be the person from VSU that inspired me to be as involved as I am and to continue to be a selfless individual, so that I can constantly build up the people around me. Outside of VSU, my grandfather was my driving PHorce! He worked hard and always laughed harder; in my eyes, he always had it all! Once he retired, he was able to sit back under the garage and look out at all of his achievements. When he looked, he could see 3 cars and a motorcycle, a happy growing family, and the driveway that lead up to the house he bought and paid off years ago.  I never saw anything but happiness on his face and that is what inspires me to be the best I can be and share a smile with a neighbor or two!HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

JL: In 10 years, I plan to be in the Atlanta area as an excelling photographer or an educator in the areas of criminal justice because I believe the youth find themselves in so many terrible situations, simply because we as society didn’t educate them in the ways of the CJ system early enough!

HC: What do you consider your biggest accomplishment?

JL: Biggest accomplishment to date would probably have to be becoming a man of oldest and coldest frat, Alpha Phi.

HC: What do you like to do in your spare time?

JL: In my free time I like to watch movies, take drives with the sunroof open and the windows down while playing some old school jams, and I really love to play around with my camera and work on my photography skills (grad shoots starting soon… email me jdleavy@valdosta.edu for possible booking info).HC: What’s a short-term goal you’re working towards?

JL: GRADUATION IN MAY!!!!HC: What’s your favorite quote?

JL: “Anything is possible.” – Kevin Garnett

(Jaruis on the far right)

HC: A fun fact about yourself?

JL: I’ve traveled to Paris before and I’m looking forward to going across seas again!HC: If you could go back in time & give your freshman self advice, what would you say?

HC: To the freshman me, I would say enjoy the lobby of Patterson because that is where some of your greatest friends will be made. Get involved in the student orgs on campus, but don’t lose focus on what work you have to do in your classes. Most importantly apply for all of the scholarships you possibly can, because when your junior and senior year come around, leaving class to go straight to work is not going to be fun, especially when you have to miss great events because you had to work. Keep your head up and graduation will come sooner then you know, so enjoy the experience and GOOOOOO BLAZERRRRRRRRS!!!!!!!

HCxo!

My name is Sameena! I am a criminal justice major at Valdosta State University!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.