Campus Celebrity Jaleel Brown ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Jaleel is a very familiar face to many around VSU! There’s a slim chance that you’ve never had the chance to converse with this guy. His VSU story is one that’s well worth listening to. Going from a club rugby player to a starting football player is not something that happens on a daily basis. Take some time to read about Jaleel as this week’s Campus Celebrity!

Name: Jaleel Brown

Hometown: Macon, GA

Major: Accounting major, American Sign Language minor

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius

Her Campus: Why did you choose VSU?

Jaleel: I chose VSU because it was away from the city (Atlanta). I don’t really like the fast, city life. I visited VSU, UGA,  FVSU, and the University of the Cumberlands in Kentucky. I’m sure that now I can handle any of those big schools, but back then I knew Valdosta would be the perfect fit for me.

HC: How do you stay active on campus?

Jaleel: I’m currently a part of the VSU football team. It’s a privilege. Prior to that I was a part of the VSU Rugby Squad. I was also a part of MAG (Media Arts Geniuses) last semester, but had to put my membership on hold because of my pursuit of football.

HC: What are your aspirations in life?

Jaleel: At first, I wanted to be a math teacher because I love numbers. Then, I met this guy named Fred Schifando who is a math professor at VSU. He failed me in the easiest math class you can take here at VSU, College Algebra. Fred didn’t seem passionate about his job. He’d write something on the board, go over it in his own way, didn’t really answer questions from the students, and then he’d conclude class. That was it. Needless to say, I failed miserably [laughs]. Now I want to be a forensic accountant for the FBI. 

HC: What inspires you?

Jaleel: I hate failure. My parents keep me motivated. My mom especially. She’s worked as a manager at Kroger for 30 years. She decided to drop that commitment and go pursue her dream as a nurse. She’s pushing 50 years old and she’s doing something that we (college students) do on a day-to-day basis. That’s beautiful to me, following your dream no matter your age.

HC: What do you like to do aside from study and play sports?

Jaleel: Anything. I love to weight-lift. As an athlete, that’s a given. I write music, play a little piano, and can sing. But, no one really knows any of that. Everyone knows that I write lyrically. I’ve been a part of three cyphers on campus and those have been pretty successful. I also love sleep!

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

Jaleel: I’ll be 30 years old in 10 years. I’ll be 5 years into the bureau. I’m contemplating whether I’m returning to school to pursue a degree in criminal justice because I do want to have experience in the criminal field. Forensic accounting is not just about dealing with money. I want to knock down some people’s doors. I want to go get the bad guys. You know, I just want to do all things that people don’t normally do.

HC: What’s a quote or motto that you live by?

Jaleel: My strength and conditioning coach always tells us to never put problems before our purpose. Another I picked up from Abraham Lincoln. He once said, “Nearly all men can face adversity but if you want to test a man’s character give him power.” That goes to show that everyone has the power to do whatever it is that they want. Out of adversity arises opportunities. You decide whether you turn that adversity into opportunities or let it overtake your life.

HC: What’s the mark that you want to leave on the VSU community?

Jaleel: There’s no need for a special reward for making a difference. I want to be remembered as that guy who never changed; that genuine, upfront, bold guy. That’s it. I think that’s what everybody knows me for now. And, I hope that that is what they will remember me for until my time expires.

HC: If your life were a movie, who would you want to play the role of you?

Jaleel: Shaquille O’Neal. We share some common characteristics. Well, he’s like 7 feet tall, but we’re both bald. We both like to wear hoop earrings too and he’s funny. I happen to think I’m funny!

Follow Jaleel on Twitter @War_Ready95 and on Instagram @CallMe_Prim3!

HCXO!

I'm Brisha, a senior at Valdosta State University double majoring in Public Relations and Spanish! Writing hasn't always been my "thing" but I now find it to be a beneficial way to express myself! My passions include fashion, fitness, healthy eating, and relationship building. Follow me on Instagram @BShavonte!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.