Campus Celebrity Colleen Kavanaugh ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Meet Colleen Kavanaugh, the current SGA Vice President at VSU! From teaching spin at the Student Rec Center to helping host back to school events for first year students, you may have seen her around campus. Get to know more about Colleen below!

Name: Colleen Kavanaugh

Major/Minor: Speech Communication/History

Hometown: Brunswick, Georgia

Classification: Junior, Class of 2017

On Campus Involvement: The Young Conservatives of America, Turning Point USA, Christians United for Israel, Student Government Association, Event Coordinator & Fundraiser for Rugby Club, and Student Recreation Group Fitness Instructor

Off Campus Involvement: Lowndes County G.O.P.

Dogs or Cats? DOG!!!

Introvert or Extrovert? Ambivert! (I refuel like an introvert but after that I’m extrovert all the way.)

Zodiac Sign: Leo

Favorite Celebrity: Carrie Underwood

Favorite Quote: “Do everything to prepare, pray and achieve to make it happen no excuses.” -Ben Carson

HC: Hi Colleen! Let’s start out getting to know you a little bit through some “tough” questions. What is a fun fact about you that nobody knows?

Colleen: In high school, I was registered soccer referee and a member of the National Chess Club…that’s not really fun but it is a thing that a lot of people don’t know!

HC: That is actually pretty neat. I’m terrible at chess so kudos to you! Let’s take that C from chess…and pick three words that start with C and tell me why they describe you.

Colleen: First, cookies because I love to cook and bake but I have an extreme sweet tooth! Cookies and ice cream are my weakness. Second, creative because since I was little, I have always been fascinated with the idea of creating something beautiful from nothing. Whether its art, books, food, pottery, organizations, community service…I love new things and I am always coming up with crazy ideas for about everything. Lastly, caring. Being an older sister of two (I love my siblings so much), I have naturally picked up the caring trait. Because Jesus sacrificed His life for me, I want to serve and care others as He does for me. Even though I still have a lot of room for growth, I strive to always go the second mile for other and care for others as Jesus cares for me.

HC: That is awesome Colleen. Extra cookies and creativity and care is just what we all need! Tell me – what are you passionate about. What or who inspires you?

Colleen: I’m inspired by hard work and enjoying the little things. My inspiration comes from the fact that the same God that created the Grand Canyon, the Alps, the Great Lakes, and every sun rise and sun set created and loves me! Also risk. I am fully inspired with starting or trying something I have no idea how the outcome will be but it gets my heart and creativity racing. I fully have to trust that God is bigger than my fears and struggles!

HC: Now because you are our Campus Celebrity of the week, let me ask you about how your inspiration and passion ties into your success. How do you feel about your accomplishments in life so far?

Colleen: God has blessed me with many accomplishments so far but I am just thankful for being able to fully use what He has given me for His glory.

HC: So how do you stay motivated to keep up with all that you do?

Colleen: I stay motivated by being extremely organized and surrounding myself by very motivated people but most importantly, having a strong daily relationship with my Heavenly Father who is the provider of all my needs.

HC: You only have a year left at VSU. For my last question, what advice would you give to incoming students based on your experiences and time here?

Colleen: Learn how to learn, its okay to not always be okay, surround yourself with positive/motivated people, get out of your comfort zone, explore, THINK for yourself, read, never take no for an answer, work hard at everything, and get involved!

Catch one of Colleen’s Spin class at the Student Rec Center or attend an SGA meeting on Monday night in the Student Union at 8pm to tell her about what you want to see at Valdosta State University!

University: Valdosta State University Major: American Sign Language & Interpretation Likes: eating doughnuts, going for a run, & doing paperwork Dislikes: tomatoes + lettuce on my cheeseburger, bad attitudes, & walking through mud in white Keds Follow Me: @brokenseaglass + @kekrivsky (Twitter/Instagram)
Her Campus at Valdosta State.