Campus Celebrity Claire Contevita ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Featured as this week’s Campus Celebrity is 90.9 Blaze FM’s very own Station Manager: Claire Contevita! I had the pleasure of asking Claire a few questions about what it’s like to run a college radio station!

HC: How do you find time balancing a college radio station and college courses?

Claire: Since I am a senior, my class schedule is really easy now – just two classes a day and one on Friday. If I’m not in class, I’m in the station multi-tasking between managing the station, working on my own, and studying. Most of the “business” that runs the station is conducted in the evening or late afternoon on Mondays and Wednesdays so I can study before then on those days. But that’s all I really have time for…that and work. I work as a waitress five days a week. Sleep isn’t an option unless it’s the weekend. I wish we had longer days…

HC: What do you love most about running the radio station?

Claire: I MAKE THE RULES! No…just kidding… As station manager, I converse with MANY different people on campus. My schedule is booked constantly. I get to meet so many school leaders, students, and musicians on campus and off campus. I’m all about building a great network of connections for the station and for myself. But of course, it’s also all about the music. I love being able to organize our formats throughout the day. We just added country. And I also produce Blazefest and that’s my favorite time of the Spring semester.

HC: What do you like to do in your down time?

Claire: My down time is working at Cheddars [laughs]. We can’t use our phones while we work so that’s my down time…because no one can call me, and if they did, I can’t answer. So it’s somewhat of a “break.”

HC: Do you plan on pursuing radio after college? If not, what are your plans? 
Claire: I definitely plan on pursuing a career in radio after college. I’ve already finished up my internship at Black Crow Media last summer and my resume and reel are pretty much finished and ready for professional station managers to look at. This fall, I’m flying out to Seattle to job hunt for a Top 40 spot or Alternative spot (during the morning or PM drive). But my dream is to work in San Francisco (original underground music) or Z100 with Elvis Duran in New York City. Or be the next Ryan Seacrest. Who knows…

HC: What advice would you give to DJ aspirants?

Claire: RECORD YOUR SHOWS, LINERS (similar to commercial ads), and VOICE-OVERS! And jump on the opportunity for an internship with your local radio stations or radio-esque contests (I was in “Who Wants to Be a DJ” with Black Crow). And attend as many media conferences as possible. And get to know your officers. And major in Mass Media.

HC: What has been your favorite experience here at Valdosta State?

Claire: My favorite experience was being given the chance to produce Blazefest 2013. Now I’m producing Blazefest 2014. I love the concert (April 26!) because it gives students a chance to hear local Valdosta music ranging from rock to rap. I also love VSU’s radio because I get to work with so much amazing local musical talent! VSU has a great program for Mass Media students and musicians across the street in the Fine Arts building. Both programs allow students to expand on their talents in the arts. I think it would be cool if one day I got to play music of a VSU alumn on the radio at a commercial radio station. That would be a pretty awesome reunion.

Don’t forget about Valdosta State’s annual Blazefest this year held on the front lawn April 26th !
21 Mass Media Major at Valdosta State :)
Her Campus at Valdosta State.