Campus Celebrity Brad Joyal ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Meet Brad, a friendly face you have probably seen around the Student Union or North Campus! When Brad isn’t busy with his duties in the VSU AFROTC program, you can find him hanging out with friends and watching sports. Get to know more about Brad’s past, present, and future below!

Name: Brad Joyal

Major/Minor: Criminal Justice/Aerospace Studies

Hometown: Valdosta, GA

VSU Classification: Senior (May 2016)

On Campus Involvement: VSU Student Union Building Manager, VSU AFROTC Wing Commander, VSU Arnold Air Society, and VSU AFROTC Color Guard (flag detail – lifts the American flag, Georgia State flag, and VSU flag at VSU home football games)

Off Campus Involvement: Over 160+ hours of community service at local places including: Toys for Tots, mentorship with Thomasville and Lowndes High School JROTC, Jacob’s Ladder Riding Facility, Second Harvest Food Bank, Boys & Girls Club, and more.

Dogs or Cats? Dog! I have an Austrailian Shepherd named Koda.

Introvert or Extrovert? Extrovert

Zodiac Sign: Virgo

Favorite Celebrity: Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson 

Favorite Quote: “Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.” -JFK

Fun Fact: I once was told in the 6th grade that I would never make it through college because I could not comprehend the basic levels of English Literature. Now, I am happy to say I am sitting at a solid 3.87 GPA and have gotten an A in all of my English courses.

HC: Hey Brad! I see you’re from Valdosta. Is being from this area what inspired you to come to Valdosta State?

Brad: I was born and lived here for 10 years, but my dad was in the United States Air Force (USAF) and we moved every 18 months for the next eight years after leaving Valdosta. This was the only place I could call “home” and it also is home to an amazing AFROTC and Criminal Justice department, which catered to my future.

HC: It’s great then, that you got to “come home” for college in a sense. With your major and minor being so specialized and also being a member of the VSU AFROTC, what do you plan to do after graduating in May?

Brad: I am graduating and commissioning as an officer in the USAF on the same day in the Spring of 2016. I will train to become a Combat Systems Officer in the USAF and will be stationed at Naval Air Station Pensacola in Pensacola, Florida

HC: That sounds exciting! How do you stay motivated to accomplish these goals? Is there any one person or thing that inspires you?

Brad: I stay motivated by setting short term goals encompassed in long term goals. My long term goals are to continue my education (whether it be a Master’s program or further), serve in the USAF for at least 20 years, and become a husband and father. Some of my short term goals include graduating and commissioning in the next few months, become a “winged” officer upon completion of my aeronautical training in Pensacola, and continue working to be the best officer, and most importantly, the best person all around that I can be. I am fueled by the goals I set for myself. I have a passion to become successful, and success does not come without hard work. My dad inspires me the most. He has developed me in many ways, from being a leader, to making smart decisions, but most importantly, he has been a great father and we have a unique bond with the time he spent in service and the time I’m about to spend in it.

HC: Goodness. You are quite the motivated individual! How do you keep up with all of your activities and responsiblities?

Brad: Organization is key! I have to practice time management with everything I do. Not only am I in the AFROTC program, which takes up eight hours just in academics and Physical Training, but I also have 15 total credit hours, work 15 hours at the Student Union, and spend a lot of my free time either studying, doing community service, or utlizing the time I have with my family, friends, and girlfriend.

HC: Well with what little free time it sounds like you have, how do you make the most of it?

Brad: I love watching sports, like football, baseball, basketball, and golf. My favorite teams are the New York Giants, Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics, and Tiger Woods is my favorite golfer. I also like studying about airplanes and aeronautics in general. I am a huge fan of the aircraft arsenal in the US military. My favorite plane is the C-130J. In my free time, I like to spend time with my girlfriend, friends, and family. I enjoy being around people, and they are always there to support me.

HC: It sounds like you take every moment of your life and seize it. If you could tell an incoming freshman at VSU some advice about your time here, and what you’ve learned, what would you say?

Brad: College will fly by! When you are a freshman, make many friends but do not become so caught up with the initial college “freedom” and lose sight of what you are truly here for. I would suggest to keep a well-balanced life, but make sure you have fun. After all, college is a great experience and helps you discover who YOU truly are. Also, they should check out the AFRTOC program.[winks].

This interview just flew by but what a good one it was! To catch up with Brad as he sets out to accomplish his goals, follow him on Instagram at @yourjoyalhighness! HCXO!

University: Valdosta State University Major: American Sign Language & Interpretation Likes: eating doughnuts, going for a run, & doing paperwork Dislikes: tomatoes + lettuce on my cheeseburger, bad attitudes, & walking through mud in white Keds Follow Me: @brokenseaglass + @kekrivsky (Twitter/Instagram)
Her Campus at Valdosta State.