This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Cosmetic companies have a long reputation of excluding products for African Americans (with an exception of a few). However, we now have accessibility to a variety of companies that cater specifically to us. While companies are beginning to listen to our requests, it is imperative that we still take the time to support and appreciate the businesses that black people have created for us. With all of the social injustices involving black people, we should all keep in mind how important it is to keep money in the pockets of not only others but, but black businesses as well. If you’re a makeup lover like me, here are a few black owned makeup brands that contain quality and affordable makeup lines.

Coloured Raine

Coloured Raine was created by a black woman, Loraine, to promote self-expression as well as creativity. Coloured Raine carries a wide range of products, from eyeshadows to lipsticks. You will find everything from the boldest of bolds to your perfect nudes. While I haven’t gotten a chance to purchase anything from Coloured Raine, their reviews are almost perfect and I plan to buy a gloss or two very soon! 

Juvias Place

Nigerian-born, Chichi Eburu, created Juvias Place very recently and has experienced such rapid growth. It’s is known for their beautiful palettes that include shadows and pigments perfect for African American skin tones. 

AJ Crimson

AJ Crimson is an amazing celebrity makeup who’s done makeup for Brandy, Missy Elliot, Alicia Keys, to name a few. There’s no doubt you will find a shade that’s perfect for you in his collection of foundations and concealers.

Black Radiance

Black Radiance is known for their products that meet the needs of not only every skin color but skin type as well. Black Radiance has proven for two decades why their company should be trusted to enhance the beauty of all women. You can find their products in a beauty supply or drugstore near you providing incredibly low, but quality makeup.

Lena Lashes

Known for their beautiful lashes, Lena Lashes are also known for their huge range of colored liquid lipsticks. Next time you’re shopping for lashes to take your beat face to the next level, grab a pair from Lena Lashes along with a liquid lippie or two!

HCXO!

Pre-Nursing major at Valdosta State University. Free spirited.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.