Benefits of Joining a Organization

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Adapting to college may be hard for some people compared to others who are social butterflies. Making connections is probably one of the most beneficial things that you can do in college. Sometimes it’s not what you know, it’s who you know that can get you ahead. Joining organizations around your campus is a great start to making connections. Below are some of the many benefits that you can achieve by joining an organization.

1. Resume credentials 

When applying to grad school or a job, acceptance is usually based on multiple variables. GPA, extracurricular activities, and standardize test scores all go into your chances of being accepting. Employers want to see a well round individual who is pretty balanced across the board. If you branch out more and try to do well in all areas, your chances of being hired will be greater than someone who only has experience in one area.

2. Leadership 

When joining an organization, you will be forced to get out of your comfort zone and meet all different types of people. Learning how to be a leader is important. Leadership helps with your social skills because you learn how to work with others which is a great trait for the future. In certain situations you may not get along with everyone you have to work with but knowing how to tolerate them is an essential skill.   

3. Surprise Interest 

When initially joining an organization, you join based off of interest. As you go further in the org, sometimes you can find a new passion that you never knew you actually loved. For example, joining a film organization to changing your major to Mass Media because you love production so much.

4. Connections 

Connections can take you far in your college career. Sometimes something as simple as a phone call can change everything. Getting your name out there and all that you have to offer is a positive way to start marketing yourself. People will soon get to know who you are, and what you can contribute to their business.

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.