This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Hey beautiful people!

It’s been a while since I’ve talked to y’all.

Savannah Sellers
NBC
 How are y’all? I’m okay, thanks for asking. I hope you college babes are hanging in there. We got a few weeks left.  The end is near!

Pride Flag with Streamers
Photo by The Creative Exchange from Unsplash

Anyways, I’ve been deep into my studies this semester since I have a pretty heavy course load. One of my courses is Sociology of Queer and LGBT Communities (s/o Dr. Ramirez!). Since I identify as non-binary and have come to terms with my attraction to just women, I asked my teacher about the proper term for it. Turns out there isn’t a term for this at all.

Two women hold hands with a rainbow painted on them
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

I wrote an article about ‘Being Non-Binary in a Binary World’ at the beginning of this semester, and after many class assignments in some of my other classes, it’s extremely apparent that there’s some work to be done. Being non-binary is one of the most important parts of identity, and not having terminology for things such as sexuality is lowkey frustrating. Let’s (kinda) unpack that.

Non-binary written in yellow green and red logo blocks
Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

We all know our society is ran on patriarchal views; quite damaging views I might add. Everything has been so binary that it leaves no room for expression that varies from neither one. A simple question like this has made me realize how much work needs to be done to provide more language for gender-non-conforming/ non-binary people. 

I hope this was worth a read.

With love + unanswered questions,

• Dom Pollard
Dom Pollard

Valdosta '22

Dom is a sophomore, majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies with concentrations in African American Studies and Sociology. They plan on doing work in either education, activism, film, or all three. They are a queer individual who speaks their mind and provides love + other elements to bring perspective to HERCampus Valdosta. HCXO!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.