Style > Beauty

Beauty & Brains: Hairstyle Ideas Great for Spring and Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Spring is here and summer is right around the corner! With spring and summer comes beautiful warm weather, vacations, day parties, you name it! These are the two seasons we WANT and HAVE to look our absolute best, right ladies? With so much fun to have and places to go, your hair should be the least of your worries, but it should still look great. Here are a few simple hairstyle ideas great for spring and summer for you to try!

Braid it up

Honestly, braids will always be IN because there are so many different ways you can spice the style up! From a side swept plait to a fishtail braid, you just can’t go wrong. A trend that has been popular lately (especially amongst stars) is the messy braid. This look is perfect for a night on the town or a day at the beach.

The messy braid can be achieved in 2 easy steps: Simply pull all of your hair to one side over your shoulder and braid (it doesn’t have to be neat) your hair into any style you’d like. Once you’re satisfied with your style of choice, start teasing the braid with either your fingers or a comb. This includes slightly loosening the braid and altering its original shape. As you tease to your liking, if you notice a few flyaways, leave them be. They’re a part of the “messy” look.

Flaunt some waves

It’s just something about loose waves that screams sexy! While this hairstyle is very flirtatious and sultry, it’s truly suitable for any occasion. To achieve this hairstyle all you would need is a heat protectant, curling wand, and hair spray/styling serum.

Start by parting your hair into sections. After you’ve applied a heat protectant of your choice, begin wand curling your hair layer by layer. Since the look you’re going for is quite effortless, be mindful of making sure your hair doesn’t remain on the iron too long because you don’t want your waves too tight. Once you’ve completed your entire head, spray a light hairspray on your hair or use a small amount of styling serum and evenly distribute it throughout your hair to manage frizz.

Chop it off

You can’t get any edgier and classier than chopping off those tresses and sporting a bob. As the temperature continues to rise, you’ll more than likely end up thanking yourself. There are many advantages to wearing a bob. First, there’s no hair on your neck so that reduces your irritability level down a notch. Second, it is very low maintenance. And third, it’s FIERCE!

Go for a faux bob

So, maybe you’re against cutting your hair but you want to rock a bob. No worries, you can still do it! 

Watch this video to see how:

Add some color

Wearing the same hair color year-round can get boring. Go out on a limb and choose a different hair color! If you’re not fully comfortable with coloring your entire head, try highlights! If you’re thinking about trying a hair color that you’ve never had before, go for it! Just be sure to take the proper precautions in maintaining your hair and keeping it healthy while it’s colored. Popular hair coloring styles include the peek-a-boo highlights or the ombre effect.

Rock a sidetwist

Not sure if you want twists or to leave your hair as is? Go for both.

You can twist one side of your hair, pin it, and either curl the remaning hair or pull it over a shoulder to accomplish a sweet and elegant look.

If you want to try something creative but simple, twist both sides of your hair and pin your remaining hair into a messy, tightknit bun to achieve the bohemian goddess look.

Messy bun (remixed)

The messy bun is the ultimate I-didn’t-feel-like-doing-my-hair hairstyle, not to mention it’s fairly easy to do. Whether high or low, neat or messy, this is a go-to hairstyle all girls know and love. So, why not rock such an easy hairstyle with a little edge? 

Add a braid, part your hair down the middle and leave out your bangs, curl your layered strands, add an accessory. With such limitless possibilities, you’re not going to just want to leave your hair as just a messy bun!

Hopefully these simple hairstyle ideas will get you right and ready for the current and upcoming season, collegiettes! Try at least one because you never know, it may just become your new favorite hairstyle!

Xo

Her Campus at Valdosta State.