This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Every girl at one time or another has had a BAD hair day. No matter how hard you try, it seems like there are days where your hair takes on a life of its own and turns into a complete frizz ball.

Humidity plays a huge part in your fizzy hair. Extremely hot climates, like the infamous Valdosta humidity, singlehandedly causes frizz to occur. But there are ways to beat the heat! Here are 5 tips to help tame your frizzy mane in the heat.

1. Get a Good Haircut

One of the main causes of uncontrollable frizz is split ends. Never skip a haircut! Have your hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks to help reduce frizz.

2. Shampoo Less, Condition More

Trying to beat the heat? Don’t shampoo every day. Shampoo dries your hair out and strips it of its natural oils. This leads to the frizzies. Limit your shampooing only 2-3 times a week.

When washing your hair, reduce the amount of shampoo and focus more on conditioning. Massage the conditioner onto your scalp and hair and let it sit for five minutes. Rinse. Conditioner is key for battling frizz because it allows natural oils to remain in your hair and tames frizz.

3. Rinse Hair with Cold Water

Cold water is your hair’s BFF when taming frizz. When shampooing and conditioning your hair, avoid rinsing with hot water. Hot water causes your hair to become brittle and victim to frizz.

Instead, rinse with the coldest water possible; it secures the hair cuticles, making hair smoother and less frizzy.

4. Towel Dry… to a Certain Extent

While air drying is the best drying technique in order to eliminate frizz, a lot of college girls don’t have 30 minutes to an hour to invest to drying their hair. The next best option is towel dry.

The best towel drying technique is to let your hair set in the towel for 10 minutes. Avoid ringing your hair out with a towel because it causes static, leading to frizz.

After 10 minutes, take the towel off and use a hand towel to squeeze the remaining water out of your hair, starting from the ends to the roots.

Edit: safest option is using an old T-shirt instead of a towel.

5. Less Heat, Less Frizz

Blow dryers. Straighteners. Curlers. They all have a way of making our hair look beautiful, but they also cause humidity. Direct heat causes your hair to become dehydrated.

If you decide to use these styling tools, set them to the lowest temperature possible. Use a thermal protectant in your hair before using each tool.

When blow drying your hair, use a large, round brush. The core of the brush warms with the heat from the dryer and aids in the drying process while styling at the same time. Also, blow dry in a downward motion. Going in an upward motion causes the cuticles to frizz and split. Divide the hair into sections and dry one section at a time.

This rule of thumb also applies when using a straightener or curler. Divide the hair into sections, use a thermal protectant, and style the hair. The more protected your hair is, the less frizz there will be.

There you have it! Five golden rules to help control unruly frizz and beat the heat. Humidity is out of our control, but our hair shouldn’t be. Apply these simple hair techniques and you are on your way to controlling your frizz!

Hey, everyone. My name is Ashlea Danielle. I'm 22. Senior at Valdosta State University. #TeamScorpio #BlazerNation
Her Campus at Valdosta State.