This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Here we go again, another semester with more tears and sleepless nights. Well actually, I’ve been getting enough rest, but it’s only been two weeks and I’ve cried like 8 times. We won’t be getting into why I’m crying that much, I’m here to discuss expectations. 

As students we have a lot of expectations, but reality comes in and sometimes swipes everything away. I thought I was going to die in the first week back. I was so overwhelmed with a World Literature class, so I decided to drop it. I’m not the type of person to quit easily, but I knew I couldn’t handle that class right now. I created my own personal schedule, and I had the expectation that everything was going to go smoothly. Unfortunately, things don’t always go to plan, but that’s the beauty of it. 

I’m currently in all media classes, and I don’t feel too much pressure. I knew if I stayed in that class, I would’ve been stressed out of mind. I had to do a lot of reading, which would’ve taken up so much of my time, and it didn’t fit in with everything else going on in my life.

So what I’m trying to say is, we may have dates and a full schedule, but things can take a turn. You might end up dropping a class, you might have to leave a job for a better one, and you might not be as close to someone from last semester. Whatever the situation may be, just know that everything doesn’t have to fit your expectations, and what if your expectation is just a limitation?

That’s something to think about.

Mashawna Small

Valdosta '23

Hi, I'm Mashawna and I'm from Savannah.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.