Around Town: Red Door Records and Cinema

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Red Door Records and Cinema are two very awesome places conveniently located in one building! Owner, Jessica Ganas runs a record store by day and a single screen movie theater by night. The downtown location and Cinema opened in September of 2015, but Red Door Records has been in Valdosta since 2010. I got the opportunity to talk to Jessica and take some pictures of this awesome venue!

121 N Patterson St
Valdosta, Georgia

Jessica, a VSU graduate with a degree in Mass Media, loves entertainment, movies and music. It would only make sense for her to own a business like this. She came up with the idea of a single screen theater because she would always get together with friends in the backroom of the old Red Door Records location and watch movies. Jessica was inspired to take this fun idea to a larger scale,”I thought it would be nice to play movies for larger groups. Cities like Athens and Jacksonville have small places that show movies and serve food so I thought it would be nice to have one here.” She was able to find a location big enough for her to open up Cinema and move Red Door Records, to have them in one space.

Wednesday through Sunday you can come and watch a movie and get some food. You can enjoy sliders (BBQ, Brisket, Buffalo, and twoVeggie options), popcorn with a variety of seasonings available, nachos, or peanuts. If you are 21 or older you can also purchase beer and wine to enjoy while you’re watching the movie.

Jessica wants her guests to enjoy something that they may not be used to, “I want them to have the opportunity to do something different than what they’re used to, in an intimate and comfy environment.” She shows popular films as well as a wide variety of classic, independent and foreign films. She wants to give the youth a chance to enjoy and appreciate classic films, “It’s different to see movies on the big screen that came out befor you were born.”

She believes that movies, music, and fashion all tie into each other. Along with offering a place to watch classic movies and buy your favorite artist’s records Jessica also has a small section of outerwear for sale for a limited time!

Jessica has some advice for aspirng business owners in Valdosta, “Valdosta needs to grow. Anyone that has something that they think needs to exist, make it.” It is clear that Jessica enjoys her job and her business very much. As soon as you walk in, you are greeted with hospitality and friendliness. The venue is very comfy and inviting! Jessica encourages people to just come out and hang, “Everyone is welcomed to come hang out in the seating areas that are available. Grab a coffee from Grassroots and come on down.”

You can come out to the record shop Monday through Saturday between 1 and 7. Cinema showings are at 8 on Wednesday and Sunday and 7 and 10 Thursday, Friday, and Saturday! Here are the showings for next month:

You can keep up with upcoming events by liking Cinema’s and Red Door Records’ Facebook pages and following them on Instagram: @cinemadowntown and @reddoorrecords. Make sure you stop by sometime! HCXO!

Michaela Leung is the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Valdosta State. She is an honors student studying Mass Media and working on a Cross-Training Certificate in Journalism at Valdosta State University with aspirations to be a music journalist and a news anchor. This New York native enjoys fashion, all kinds of music, socializing, making people laugh and standing up for what is right. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: michaelaskrunk