8 Stars We Lost too Soon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Over the years, we have not only watched and looked up to celebrities, but also have reluctantly viewed some spiral into a depressing downfall and others into unfortunate but surprising ends. Although death is inevitable, there are many stars that weren’t expected to go and frankly left too soon.

Amy Winehouse

Amy Winehouse was born and raised in North London. She was inspired by jazz music and her father. Amy battled depression, alcohol and drug abuse. She put her soul into her lyrics and music. She was flawed, honest and raw. Amy won 5 Grammy awards in her lifetime. She passed away from alcohol poisoning at the young age of 27.

Brittany Murphy

Brittany Anne Murphy was born in Atlanta and followed her dreams by moving to Los Angeles to become an actress. She was a beautiful, young woman who played in many independent and major motion picture films. She earned countless awards and her acting career stretched for nearly twenty years until her death of natural causes at the untimely age of 32.

Bob Marley

Bob Marley was a Jamaican reggae singer, songwriter and guitarist who is adored to this very day. Not only was he big on peace, but was also profound on spirituality. Bob Marley traveled the entire world singing and spreading his peaceful mentality like a disease. His death was much of a surprise at the age of 36 due to a toe infection. His children continue on his legacy.

Aaliyah

Aaliyah Dana Houghton was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1979 with a talent that couldn’t be hidden. She started off small performing at weddings, churches and charity events but soon worked her way up to stardom. In her lifetime, Aaliyah worked with many great artists such as Missy Elliot and Timbaland. Unfortunately, her career was cut short when her plane crashed due to an unlicensed pilot and her life ended at the age of 22.  

Left Eye

Lisa Lopes (Left Eye) was born in Philadelphia, Penn and was determined to live better than what she came from, wanting to become a star. Moving to Atlanta was the right move for her because she was soon accepted into the group, TLC. Throughout the 90s, TLC produced numorous hits and traveled the world, empowering woman with their uncanny music. Lisa herself was on a continuous journey throughout life to find herself. Sadly, her life ended in a car accident at the tender age of 30.

Kurt Cobain

Kurt Cobain was born in Aberdeen, Washington. He was a lanky and awkward lead singer and guitarist of the band Nirvana, which he formed in 1985 in Seattle. He was very passionate about his music and his fans reached every corner of the earth. During his life, he struggled with addiction to heroine, illness and depression. He was married to the beautiful songwriter, Courtney Love and committed suicide at the age of 27.

Paul Walker

Paul Walker was born in the beautiful city of Glendale, California. He was known for his many roles in soap operas and most known for his major roles in Takers and the Fast and Furious movies. He was best friends with Tyrese Gibson, and had a daughter named Meadow. He was an avid jiu-jitsu fighter and loved the action-filled things in his life. He died in a car accident at the age of 40.

Jimi Hendrix

Johnny Allen Hendrix was born in Seattle, Washington. He started playing the guitar at the age of 15, and in 1961 he enlisted in the army, where he was granted an honorable discharge the next year. He played for the Isley Brothers and Little Richard. Jimi was a world renowned guitarist and vocalist who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992, decades after his death at the age of 27.

Journalist, Writer, Mother and Wife. Passionate about travel and alternative/indie music. English and Journalism graduate at Valdosta State University as of May 2017. Follow me on twitter: GenevaCrooks_ Add me on Facebook: Geneva Rena'
Her Campus at Valdosta State.