8 Professional Wardrobe Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

For all of you soon-to-be winter graduates getting ready to enter the working world, here’s an article just for you! Here are 8 staples every professional woman needs in her wardrobe! 

1. Little Black (Sheath) Dress

A sheath dress is a must-have for any professional woman in any career. Dark colors such as black, dark gray, or navy would be best. Sheath dresses are made to be relatively form-fitting but not too tight. A sheath dress is also very versatile in styling for day or night wear.

2. Pencil Skirt

Another must have! Pencil skirts are very professional looking and versatile. Be sure that the skirt is knee length and isn’t too snug fitting. Pencil skirts look good with most types of blouses as well as button down shirts. Depending on your career field, you may want to stick to neutral colors such as black, gray, and navy but if your field allows for more freedom, pencil skirts can come in all different colors and can be fun to dress up or dress down.

3. Black Slacks

You can never go wrong with a classic pair of black slacks!

4. Oxford Button Down Shirt

This shirt can be worn under a suit, with slacks or a pencil skirt. It looks best in white. Be sure that it is nicely ironed!

5. Blazer

A basic blazer can be worn with any of the clothing listed above! There is a wide variety of styles and colors but a professional woman should always have a black one in her stash. Be sure to choose a blazer that fits well. I’ve found that with blazers, they can be a little too small or a little too big depending on where you get it from and the material it’s made of.

6. Pea Coat

A pea coat is a must have for professionals when the temperatures drop. It can set off any outfit! Again, try to get one in a neutral color. I love that you can find them long or short. Just find one that fits you well!

7. Black Pumps

You can pair black pumps with anything! Remember that for professional use, always buy closed toe pumps. Also, opt for comfort!

8. Pearl Earrings

Pearl stud earrings are very sophisticated and understated. Personally, I’d skip the necklace and bracelets and just wear the earrings. Always remember in the professional world when it comes to jewelry, less is more! 

Pinterest is a great site to get ideas for professional attire. Stores in Valdosta such as New York & Company, JCPenney, and Belk all have a nice selection of business apparel. For us fashionistas on a budget like myself, Target and Walmart have selections that can also help with building your wardrobe.

Also for us budgeteers, I would suggest purchasing these items little by little instead of all at once (unless you’ve got it like that!). Begin your shopping early and buy pieces that you can build on to and change up often.

These are just a few suggestions to help you get started on your business wardrobe! Of course, add a little bit of your own style and flare to your outfits to make it unique to you and your field of work or study!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.