This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Learning doesn’t start or stop in the classroom. It is never-ending. Yes, it’s true: the most important things that college will teach you aren’t taught in the classroom. It’s outside of the classroom that you will begin to learn for yourself the realities of life! Here are some life lessons that college has taught me thus far:

1. People aren’t stagnant.

In college you will make new friends, abandon some old ones, come in contact with people you don’t know or like. It’s life and sometimes you just have to deal with it the best way you know how. College will also separate your real friends from your “fun” friends.

2. You take care of you.

With freedom comes responsibility. You’ll soon find yourself making your own grocery list, doing your own laundry, having to make sure you get yourself up on time for class. You’ll also find yourself making your own choices and having to learn the word “no”.

3. Manage your money.

Okay, well maybe this one will take some time. I know for me it is still a struggle. Whether you realize it or not, college will force you to budget your money at some point in time, whether it’s making your refund check stretch for 4 months or stacking up your weekly paychecks to buy those new shoes. College also has a way of making you resourceful. Sometimes you have to work with what you’ve got. That change you keep in the bottom of your purse will come in handy one day! Also, the best things in life are free! Take full advantage while you can.

4. Appreciate free time.

Or as I like to call it: NAPTIME! Sometimes you just need to take a break, and that’s completely okay. A lot of times it’s the little things that count. Reading a book for pleasure, shopping, or singing in the shower; cherish those little things.

5. Plan, prioritize, adapt.

These three things coincide heavily with each other and college can show you just how much! It is always good to plan and prioritize things, but always remember, things do not always go as planned. Sometimes you have to adapt and just go with the flow. Try as you may, but you can’t always plan and anticipate everything that will come your way.

6. Experience is the Ultimate Teacher.

Truth be told, your GPA probably won’t matter that much to most employers. Experience trumps education in some fields. So try to make the most out of your college experience! Regardless of how long it takes you to graduate, you can’t stay in college forever. Make the best of it while you can.

7. You are the greatest lesson.

Most importantly, college will teach you about you! As cliché as it sounds, you really will find yourself in college. Eventually, you will evolve into the person that you were always meant to be. 

Her Campus at Valdosta State.