6 Tips on How to Get Over a Break Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Everyone has that tough break up at least once in their lifetime. Some people move on quickly but others get stuck for a while. If you are one of those who needs that extra push to move on, here are a few simple tips to get over a breakup.

1. Exercise

Who doesn’t love feeling and looking good? Exercising is a simple yet very effective way to handle stress. Not only will you feel better physically and emotionally, you’ll also look the part was well! There are several gyms available to the public such as Planet Fitness and LA Fitness. All it takes is one easy sign up and you’ll be feeling like you’re old self in no time.

2. Venting to family and friends

As much as we do not like to feel vulnerable, everyone has feelings. Venting to close relatives and friends is surely a healthy and effective way to get how you’re feeling out. Some good ideas are setting up a dinner date or picnic with your family/friends to have a deep conversation in a positive location with those you trust the most.

3. New hobby

Distractions are always great when it comes to dealing with negativity. A new hobby allows you to not only express your emotions in positive ways but also subconsciously distracts you from what is causing you pain. Try to get out of your comfort zone and do some activities that you wouldn’t normally do. Some hobbies include painting, writing, photography, pottery, graphic design, dancing, etc.

4. Travel

Your world may feel like it is crashing down around you at this time but there is so much more to be hopeful for. Traveling allows us to view different cultures and learn to appreciate life a little more. Being financially responsible, you can take as many trips as you’d like. Get out there and explore different scenery such as beaches, museums, shopping centers, landscapes, etc. The new scenery will open your mind to new approaches and you will see that change is a good thing.

5. School/Work

Whether you are a student or employed, throwing yourself into one of these will show great results. Sometimes our personal life can be so overwhelming that we tend to lose focus on the important aspects in our life. If you focus all the negative energy that you have into something positive you will eventually begin to feel more positive yourself. Whether you are making all As or a lot of cash, you are setting yourself up for a successful future.

6. New love interest

Jumping from relationship to relationship quickly can be damaging, but there are those cases where it is meant to be. Sometimes you have to date the wrong person in order to find the right one. Dating allows us to see exactly what our likes and dislikes are in a relationship. Don’t beat yourself up if one relationship does not work out. Take as long as you like to get back on the market, but remember this is not the end of your love story. Your prince charming could be right around the corner. 

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.