This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

It’s officially fall, so I think we can all agree that it’s time to make a shopping trip! One of the best places to shop for fall is the thrift store! Thrift stores are great for saving money and finding unique items that no one else has. Here are some tips for when you decide to make that trip to your local thrift store!

1. Make sure you thoroughly check your items for stains or damages. You don’t want to buy a shirt or pair of pants and go home to find a hole in it or a stain on the back of the item. Even if some damages can be fixed with a needle and thread or by washing it once or twice, you should always look before you buy!

2. If you’re thrifting any sweaters or hoodies, feel the inside of the item before making your decision. Everyone loves throwing on that oversized sweater and some leggings when it’s chilly outside! As you know, clothes from the thrift store have been worn time and time again. The inside of a sweater or hoodie can become rough and itchy, so make sure it feels comfortable on your skin before you purchase it.

3. Fall shopping does not mean you can’t shop for spring! Yeah, it may be a bit too soon; however, who says you can’t turn spring items into fall fashion? You can buy a tank top and wear it with a nice cardigan, or you can take a summer dress and add stockings or leggings, along with some tall boots! If you see something out of season while you’re doing your fall thrifting, it’s okay to buy it.

4. Don’t forget about your jewelry and other accessories! You can always find vintage, inexpensive jewelry while thrifting. Make sure the jewelry is in good condition, and if not, keep in mind that jewelry is easily fixable.  You can also find some cheap belts to accent your outfits and some vintage purses and handbags. When buying a purse/handbag, check the inside of it to make sure it is also in good condition!

5. Don’t limit yourself to clothing! You can find new furniture for your dorm or apartment or items to craft with. Create a new theme for your room since the season is changing. Crafting and decorating is great when you need a break from studying!

6. Check with our local thrift stores to see when they have “half off” days or when they put new items out! Lots of people thrift, so it is best to go when they are putting out new items. Also, the best time to do your thrifting is early in the morning because it is not too crowded!

Remember these tips and you will be set! Don’t forget to have fun with it!

My name is Sameena! I am a criminal justice major at Valdosta State University!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.