6 Naturalistas of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

In the natural hair community there are few women who stand out as natural hair icons. However, when a woman does make her mark on the natural hair community it is either because of the magnificence of her curls or the size of her afro. What makes a woman with natural hair special is the fact that she went against social norms to grace the world with her own hair. There are so many natural women, and these are just a few of my favorites. These following women have all chosen to love and embrace the greatness of their kinks, coils, and curls.

1. Solange Knowles

After Knowles went natural in 2009, the singer/songwriter has become a fashionista and a natural hair icon. Solange is famous for rocking her big kinky afro, but she is also known to wear box braids, Havana twist, and a few other protective styles!

2. Janelle Monae

Janelle Monae is famous for her signature updo, the pompadour. On Monae’s Instagram she can be seen rocking her lovely afro. In her 2013 music video for “Dance Apocalyptic” the chic singer can be seen wearing her lovely locks down and semi straight.

3. Chrisette Michele

Chrisette Michele is not as famous for her natural hair, but it is gorgeous! Chrisette Michele talks about going natural in order to lead a healthier lifestyle and treat herself better. Many people know her for her short blonde afro. She can be seen on Instagram with box braids and Marley twist!

4. Erykah Badu

Erykah Badu represents all the magic that can take place with natural hair. She is one of the most versatile women I have on my favorites list. Badu has worn so many protective styles and she has pulled them all off effortlessly. She has worn her afro, loc extentions, twist, braids, wigs, an afro mohawk, and so much more! Erykah Badu is a natural hair goddess that can do no wrong.

5. SZA

SZA remembers having big hair when she was still in middle school. She has openly talked about getting a perm in high school and stopping in college because she got a bad haircut. Today SZA is known for her long voluminous hair. She switches by wearing it straight and wearing it curly. Either way her hair oozes perfection.

6. Tracee Ellis Ross

Tracee Ellis Ross is known for her big head full of curly hair. She has been natural since 1989, but during her journey she has seen a few hiccups. Before choosing to go natural in 10th grade, Ross got perms. Also, while acting on the show Girlfriends, she talks about the heat damage that her hair suffered after straightening it so much during Season 4. Ross’ hair now looks better than ever!

May your hair continue to be inspired and may it continue to grow towards the heavens. HCXO!

Toni Miles is a Mass Media Major with aspirations of writing, producing her own documentaries, and directing short films in the future. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.