This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

It’s finally cold outside and while it’s a nice change from the year long heat wave that seemed like it was never going to end, this cold weather can do a number on our beauty routine. Fight this season of peeling lips, dry skin, and split ends with these five winter beauty hacks.

1. Tea Bag Lip Remedy

We’ve all fallen victim to dry lips in the winter time. If you’ve made the mistake of not remembering your lip balm before you left the house, its a good chance your lips hated you by the end of the day. Instead of applying your EOS every hour try tea bags. After you’ve made your warm mug or cold glass of tea save the bag and place it over your lips. The tannins in the tea hydrates your lips all day. You can also opt for a DIY scrub by saving the grains in the tea bag and mixing them with organic sugar and honey.

2. Vaseline and Socks

Just because it’s too cold to wear sandals doesn’t mean you should neglect your feet. Before you go to sleep apply Vaseline to the heels and soles of your feet and a cozy pair of socks. The socks will lock in the moisture and you’ll wake up to smooth and soft feet. 

3. Dryer Sheets to Fight Frizz

Just like dryer sheets are used to combat static against your clothes they can also reduce the frizz in your hair. Simply run the sheets over your hair or press it through the bristles of your paddle brush.

4. Avoid Super Hot Showers

No one spends all day looking forward to a cold shower when they get home especially in the winter time, but what if it was one of the best natural remedies to smoother skin? Just like you rinse your conditioner out with cold water to seal the moisture, cold showers do the same for your skin. Hot water dries out your skin and strip it of its natural and protective skin oils, but a cooler shower tightens your pores to prevent clogging and dirt from getting in.

5. Coconut Oil

This is definitely the holy grail of life. It doesn’t have to be cold outside for this to be your go-to product, but since it is coconut oil can be used as a conditioner to penetrate your hair at night, a moisturizer for dry skin, an exfoliant to remove dead skin cells that accumulate during the winter time, and a lip balm for chapped lips.

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.