5 Ways to Relieve Period Pains

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

It’s that time of the month and you feel miserable! From the fatigue to the enlarged appetite, being on your period can be a week-long rollercoaster ride! The worst part of being on your period has to be the pain that comes along with it! Cramps suck, but there are remedies out there that help relieve these symptoms.

1. Exercise

Exercising regularly has been proven to decrease menstrual pain in women. Make sure to add exercise into your weekly routine to help prevent cramps when that time of the month comes. Not only will you feel good, you’ll look even better!

2. Get some rest

Even though this method takes the longest, sleep and time get rid of period cramps. When you miss out on sleeping while on your period, your period cramps can get worse. You’re probably already experiencing fatigue on your period, so listen to your body and take a nap!

3. Eat healthier foods

Eating healthier foods during this time can be quite challenging considering the unhealthy cravings you might be having. Personally, I love eating sweets when Flo comes to visit, but eating foods like salmon, broccoli, and bananas help to lower your chances of experiencing menstral cramps. Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have been proven to significantly decrease cramping in women. Broccoli is high in fiber and iron, which are both needed when on your period. You lose a lot of iron during this week, so it is important to make sure that you are making up for this loss by consuming green vegetables. The fiber in broccoli helps with bloating and the consumption of this plant-based food has also been proven to reduce pain for many women. Lastly, bananas are know to be natural sleep aids, and when you’re in pain, getting some rest can be difficult. Eating bananas can help you get a good night’s rest, which will help to relieve the pain you experience during your cycle. 

4. Take oral contraception or pain medication

Taking oral pain relivers may not be natural, but it’s a sure way to put an end to the pain you experience on your period. Any type of birth control or ibuprofen relieve pain in a matter of minutes! for the best results, be sure to take the medication of your choosing as soon as your period starts.

5. Massage the areas in pain

Massaging your lower back and abdomen can relieve period cramps. receiving massages decreases anxiety, depression, and pain, so massaging the areas where you are experiencing pain will relieve your discomfort!

HCXO!

Ora Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Ora Lewis. I attend Valdosta State University, where I study Public Relations. I enjoy all things fashion and beauty. I love meeting new people and traveling!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.