This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

It’s back to school! That means we’re getting geared up for a brand new semester with new experiences, classes, and opportunities! It’s 4.0 SZN and I’m about to tell you 5 affective study and lifestyle habits that can help you reach your GPA goals and most importantly, have a HOT GIRL SEMESTER! 

1. Get Lots of Rest (if you can help it)

This isn’t necessarily a study habit, but trust me, it’s just as important! Sleep is necessary for our brain to function throughout our everyday lives, so it’s even more essential when we’re trying to boost our GPA and get good grades. And honestly, can you REALLY function off of 3 hours of sleep? Probably not if you have an 8:00A.M class, extracurricular activities, internships and so on. So, sleeping for at least 6-8 hours every night (if you don’t have crazy hours at your job) can benefit you in your studies and help you stay alert and on the go! 

2. When Your Alarm Clock Goes Off..GET UP!

Okay okay, this may be easier said than done, but hear me out. This also isn’t a study habit (I promise I’m going to get into them) but this will help you stay ahead of the game. We ALL love to hit snooze when our alarm clock goes off in the morning. We always find ourselves saying, “Just two more minutes.” However, we don’t need those two more minutes. Just get up. Whether it’s for a morning run, morning meditation, yoga or simply going over your notes or syllabus. When you go back to sleep, you’re basically telling your body to go back into sleep mode which can mess you up throughout the day. Get your brain as well as your body ready for the day ahead. 

3. ORGANIZE, ORGANIZE, ORGANIZE

When it comes to school, some of us are a bit lacking in our organization skills, and we don’t even mean to slack off. Sometimes we’re rushing and have to stuff papers or other things quickly in our backpack. Then, something else comes up, and we later forget to clean it out so it gets out of hand. If you’re one of these people, let’s get out of that habit. Try packing up at a decent time before class or getting up earlier (see #2) so you have time to get your book bag together! PUT THE RIGHT PAPERS INTO THE RIGHT FOLDER FOR THE RIGHT CLASS! I promise it will save you so much time, and you’ll be satisfied with how neat everything is which then gives you even more initiative to pull out your notes and study. 

4. Study in Portions Not Chunks 

This piece of advice is essential for midterms and exams, but you can also use it for any type of test. You want to portion out your studying so your brain can actually process the information. When you study in big chunks, it’s too much for your brain to handle and you may burn out faster because of how overwhelming it may be. Try studying a certain section on Monday, then Tuesday, and so on. You’ll feel less crammy and more productive! Also, color code your notes and make them fun to look at! It’ll make studying much more effective and enjoyable.

5. Last but certainly not least, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF 

I know it sounds cliche, but you HAVE to believe in you or nobody else will. I promise! You have to have the utmost confidence in yourself and realize you’re smart, strong, and worthy enough to accomplish your goals and go after your dreams! Whether you’re aiming for that 4.0 or 3.0, you HAVE to BELIEVE and have FAITH that you can do it, and you WILL! 

I have faith that you will accomplish your goals for this semester and become the best YOU you can be! Now, let’s have a HOT GIRL SEMESTER! GO! PROSPER! Good Luck! 

– HCXO 

Haley is a 22 year old Senior at Valdosta State University and President of her Her Campus chapter.. She enjoys writing, admiring nature, listening to music, and spending time with friends and family. The purpose of her articles are to help, encourage, and empower women through her writing. Her favorite type of articles to write are lifestyle and entertainment pieces.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.