samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Figure Out Your Career Path

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Almost everyone comes to college with their eyes set on a specific major and a career plan in mind. Stuff happens, some soul searching occurs and you begin to think “Is this really what I want to do for the rest of my life?” It is EXTREMELY common for a college student to change their major, and in some cases, multiple times.  Finding a career you’ll be happy with is a difficult task, so here are some helpful tips:

1. Ask yourself:  “What do you love to do?” “What are you passionate about?” If you have trouble answering these questions, ask yourself “Can you picture yourself being happy with your career path in 5 years? 10 years?” You can also weigh out the pros and cons of your current career path. If the cons outweigh the pros, Houston, we may have a problem.

2. Take a career test! Yes, I know it sounds cliché, however, it may give you an idea of what you like or dislike. This can also help you research different careers you may want to pursue.

3. Use your resources on campus! Go to the office of Career Opportunities or talk to some advisors in different departments. Don’t be afraid to ask questions! Ask about their experiences during their undergraduate years.

4. Talk to your peers! If you know someone who is majoring in a degree you may be interested in, or if you’re trying to see what different majors have to offer, your peers are also a great way to obtain information. One tip you should remember when talking to your peers is to never let them decide your career path for you! What makes them happy may not intrigue you as much.

5. Utilize your electives! Still can’t figure out what path to take? Use some of your free electives to take courses outside of your major. This can give you an idea of what you would be learning if you choose that particular major.

Remember, it is common for a college student to switch career paths, so you are not the only person experiencing this. Don’t be afraid to take your time when choosing a path because you don’t want to rush a decision that will affect you for the rest of your life. Remain positive! HCxo!

My name is Sameena! I am a criminal justice major at Valdosta State University!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.