5 Things Hipsters Can Relate To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

To be surrounded by a bunch of people who all share the same cliché opinions on certain subjects can be annoying, especially when most of your opinions are unpopular. I wouldn’t really refer to myself as a hipster, but I would say I have the mind of one. And if you have a mind of hipster as well, than you should be able to relate to these things!

1. Of Course Your Opinion Is Unpopular

When it comes to talking about certain subjects like politics, feminism, racial issues, etc. with someone who is basically a cliché themselves, it becomes annoying. You’re always having to explain why you feel a certain way about a subject, and then after you’re done, you realize that your explanation went in one ear in out the other.

2. When Your Favorite Underground Artist Is Close To Becoming/ Or Has Become Mainstream

Let’s face it, most of today’s “popular” music artists suck. So when your favorite underground artist is supposedly on the come up or has come up, there’s a feeling of loss. You’re having to share your favorite artist with the world now. And there’s also the fear that your favorite artist might make generic trash music, and then you’re stuck having to look for another underground artist and pray to God they never go mainstream.

3. Homecoming Court

You know it’s homecoming season when the popular people go out of their way to talk to you. It’s annoying and weird. The only good thing about homecoming week is that you get bribed with sweet treats to vote for people. You take the treats, but then you never actually vote for the person because you believe it’s a stupid meaningless popularity contest.

4. Skipping Out On That Party Everyone Is Talking About Going To

You know that party flyer that’s been on every social media timeline? You’re not even a least bit interested in going. Why? Same lame music, same lame people, same BS. Why go to lame party full of lame people when you can go to kickback full of chill mellow people who don’t try so hard?

5. People Thinking You’re Cool AF, Because Duh! You Are!

When people ask you, “how can I be cool like you?” Your answer would be “don’t try so hard.” It’s a douchebag answer but it’s true.

-HCXO!

I'm Jessie Thomas, a junior in college. I'm a fun loving girl who loves music and fashion! Someday I hope to be successful in the entertainment industry.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.