5 Step DIY: Distress and Acid Wash Denim Jacket

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

We all need a little bit of time to express our own creativity! I like to express my creativity by finding new and different ways to wear various articles of clothing. One thing I have come to enjoy doing is distressing denim fabric! Depending on the type of denim fabric, the final distressed denim product may differ. However, in the end, it’s your vision that makes your distressed article original! 

Materials

1. Scissors
  2. Old Jean Jacket
  3. Bleach
  4. Spray Bottle

Step 1: I wanted the bottom of my jacket to have a fringed look, so I cut the edge of the bottom of my jacket off. If my jacket did not have a zipper, I probably would have cut the jacket a little higher, just to give a more fringed look.

Step 2: After cutting the bottom of the jacket, I began scraping the edge of the jacket with one scissor blade. I do this to create a more fringed look. This also causes a more jagged edge, rather than a straight edge. I then began to pull threads from the bottom of the jacket in order to make the threads hang from the jacket.  I chose to perform this same process on the collar of my jacket.

Step 3: Just to add a bit of flavor to the jacket, I decided to tear a few holes. I chose to distress one shoulder and one arm. I also chose to add a few striations on the back of the jacket. I distressed the shoulder by tearing two holes parallel to the shoulder stitching. I added striations on the back by continuously scraping the jacket in three straight lines.

Step 4: For the acid wash look, I took a spray bottle and filled it with bleach. I then laid my jacket across a chair. Next, I began spraying the bleach on random areas of the jacket. I tried not to focus on one area more than another because that would lead to white blotches. Once I felt as if I covered enough of the jacket with bleach, I stopped and let it dry for a few minutes.

Step 5: Finally, in order to create more “fluff” to the fringe, I let my jacket rinse in the washer. I then placed my jacket in the dryer and waited until it was completely dry! Final product looks a little something like:

This is just MY final product, but anyone is more than welcome to add on or omit something from this process! HCXO!

Jamesia Folston is an Early Childhood Education student at Valdosta State University. She is a 23 year old alternative music addict who enjoys traveling, thrifting, and creating. She aspires to become an educator abroad and globetrotter.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.