5 Reasons You Should Join Her Campus at Valdosta State!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

1. Sisterhood.   I always tell everyone who asks about Her Campus the impact it’s made on my friend group! Through this amazing organization, I have been able to meet talented, interesting and genuine college women who I may have otherwise not connected with. Many of the friendships I’ve made through Her Campus are life-long friendships, even potential brides’ maids and godparents to my future children! 2. Writing Experience.

One of the most challenging things to do is gain relevant work experience while in college. Most of us are picking up part-time jobs at fast-food restaurants or retail stores, and as much as those jobs teach us, our careers won’t want to see “the lead cashier at McDonald’s” on our resume! Her Campus provides an opportunity to gain work experience as a writer. There aren’t many (if any) careers that don’t require their workers to know how to write. Joining the Her Campus team will benefit you both now and later!

3. Working with Brands. Her Campus is a huge network, reaching over 360 chapters across the world. This means that Her Campus has access to some of our favorite brands (Garnier, Diva Cup, etc). When you’re a part of Her Campus Valdosta, you reap the benefits of being a part of such a well-respected media outlet. In our new age world run by influencers, wouldn’t it be awesome to get a taste of some of those perks?

4. Being A Part of Something. The worst thing you could do during your college career is to spend all of your time alone. Being a part of something is good for you, both mentally and emotionally. 

5. Stepping Out of Comfort Zone.

As fun as Her Campus may be, it also comes with a lot of responsibility. Writing articles every week, attending bi-weekly meetings, promotional activity for any brands we may be partnering with. Many of the things we do in Her Campus are different from what we used to, and although that may be intimidating, it is also an opportunity to grow.

I hope this article has inspired you to join Her Campus, if not here at Valdosta State, then at your school! HCXO

Markesia Barron is a senior at Valdosta State University. She majors in Middle Grades Education concentrated in Language Arts and Reading. After graduation, she plans to become a middle school Language Arts teacher in the Metro Atlanta area. Markesia enjoys writing, reading, super-hero movies, and meditating outside. She's a big Beyonce fan and self-care enthusiast.