This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

During my childhood and throughout puberty, I struggled with having clear skin. It was not until I got older that I really became one with my skin and learned how it reacted to different products. Learning about my skin type, skin undertones, complexion during the different seasons, etc. helped me develop a good skin care routine. As a disclaimer, the products listed below may not work the same for you as they do for me, but I included some universal products that I believe everyone can benefit from. 

• Tea tree oil              

Tea tree oil is most commonly known to treat wounds, but it is now becoming popular in the world of cosmetics and household items. Everything ranging from shampoo to face wash, to creams, you can easily find tea tree oil on various stores shelves. I use the 100% natural tea tree oil on my breakouts and it literally dries the blemish out and it will be gone in about 2 to 3 days. Be careful not to use too much tea tree oil though, because it can cause worse acne if used excessively because it can dry your skin out.

• St.Ives Blemish Control Face Scrub

This is one of the best scrubs I have ever used. It is gentle on the skin yet manages to leave your skin feeling smooth and looking refreshed. Face scrubs are great for removing dead skin cells that cannot be removed by simple soap and simple. This scrub is also very accessible as it is seen in many drug stores that range from Walmart to CVS, and even Dollar General.

• African Black Soap

One of my day to day facial cleansers is African black soap. I usually find this product at my local beauty supply store. I use this soap every morning and night because it keeps my skin hydrated and helps balances my oils. This soap is great for oily and combination skinned people because it keeps you from being excessively oily. I would not recommend this product for dry skinned people because it will easily dry the skin out if used excessively, one time a day is enough for good results.

• Witch-hazel

Witch-hazel is one of the oldest products that has been used for many different purposes for a very long time. In relation to the skin, it clears up acne, tames oily skin, limits sweating, and tones down bruising and swelling. It is gentle on the skin and very affordable. Using this product once in the morning and once at night has shown to produce the best results for me. You can find this product at your local drug and chain stores.

• WATER

You guessed it, H2O, water, agua. I cannot stress enough how important water is for the skin. Over 70% of our body is composed of water so yes, water is necessary. Drinking water will clear your skin up very fast and eliminating soda or harsh juices filled with sugar will also help you burn calories and lose weight faster as well. Overall, water is vital for humans and should definitely be added to your daily lifestyle. !HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.