Natural Hair Girls: 5 Hairstyles for Kinky/Coiled Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Embracing natural hair has taken a while for society as whole, but as time progresses, more and more women are joining the “natural hair movement”. If you’re curious or already a naturalista yourself you should know that there are different hair textures for different women! Here is a list of the top five hairstyles I have personally tried on my kinky/coiled hair and fell in love with!

1. Twist Outs   

Twist outs are one of the easiest hairstyles for practically any hair type. But for 4a and 4b (curly/coiled) hair textures it can give you length, and of course a lot of body.

How To: Usually I achieve this look on stretched hair that I either blow dry after washing or simply let my hair air dry. Apply leave-in conditioner and any holding product like a defining cream to your hair and divide it into sections, big or small. Begin to two-strand twist your hair! For your ends, you want to use the lock method by applying any kind of oil to your fingers (I’m currently using coconut oil) to seal your ends. Take a couple of hours to let your hair dry; most of the time I sleep with the twist in my hair overnight.

The most difficult part most people face with twist outs is the take down. Apply oil to your hands as you unravel your twists to prevent frizz and a poufy effect. Separate your strands to create more definition and shake your hair out to add more body and you’ll be on your way to a perfect twist out!

2. Braid Out

Coming in at number two is a braid out, which strongly resembles a twist out, just braided!

How To: Because it closely resembles the twist out, the how-to is simple. The major difference between the two is that instead of two-strand twisting your hair, you want to take the large or small sections and braid them instead. For a curlier effect, most of the time I add perm rods or flexi rods to the ends of my hair.

The take down process is still the same as a twist out. One of the most important things to remember while braiding or twisting your hair is to NOT BORROW HAIR! And by that I mean don’t take hair from one strand to add to another; this can cause the take down process to be very difficult and you won’t get the defined outcome you want.

3. Bantu Knots

One of my personal favorite hairstyles is Bantu knots! This hairstyle gives me a ton of curls and coils and it can last for days if taken care of.

How To: Like the rest of the previous hairstyles, start with clean washed or conditioned hair; apply leave-in conditioner and any kind of holding products you desire. Bantu knots can either be single or double stranded. I personally like single strands. Take your hair and twist it around itself; it will begin to create a knot close to your roots and continue to wrap your hair around itself. Sometimes your hair will stay in place, other times you would need a bobby pin to make sure the knots don’t unravel. When you’re ready to take your hair down all you have to do it twist your knots in the opposite direction that you wrapped them and separate the strands to create more body. And don’t forget to shake that hair!

4. Crown/Halo Twist

Another simple hairstyle and my ultimate go-to when I need to wash my hair or any of the previous styles have run their course. The crown twist is a classy/elegant, yet stylish and simple up-do that will make any girl feel like they are queen, hence the crown!

How To: The best way I have found to achieve this hairstyle is by parting your hair horizontally (from ear to ear). Applying oil such as coconut or olive oil to protect your hair is always ideal. To begin, you’re going to want to start in the front of your head on whichever side you want your twist to go in. Grab two strands of hair and begin to flat twist your hair all the way around your head. Once you get back to where you initially started, you are going to have to connect your hair to create the ‘Crown/Halo’. The best way to do this is to use those handy bobby pins to secure your hair in place. And voila! You have your ‘Crown/Halo Twist’! Enjoy being a queen for a day or two.

5. Protective Styles

Most natural ladies I know, including myself, venture to protective styles when the weather gets colder and dryer. But personally, I choose to throw a protective style in my hair when I want to give it a much-needed break from constant manipulation. There are a few styles that I have tried and loved, including box braids, Marley twists, weaves and Senegalese twists. I always get these professionally done so they can stay put for a few weeks. I leave in protective styles for no more than 6 weeks at a time. Although you have a protective style and your hair isn’t exposed, it always needs love. Keeping your scalp moisturized and healthy is most important because even though it’s protected we all still want our hair to continue to grow!

With each style. you want to keep in mind that your hair is an extension of yourself. If you’re new to doing your hair yourself it’s not always going to come out the way you want it to. Everyone’s hair has a mind of its own but patience has always been a virtue. Whether your hair is wavy, curly, coiled or kinky, all natural hair is beautiful and so is the girl underneath!

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.