Interesting Facts about Valdosta State University
1. Did you know Valdosta State University was once an all girls school by the name of Georgia State Women’s College in 1922? It became co-educational in 1950 and the name was changed to Valdosta State College.
2. Did you know Valdosta State provides thousands of jobs to the Valdosta Metropolitan Area? VSU ranks within the top ten employers for Valdosta.
3. Did you know that the Jewel Whitehead Camellia Trail is believed to be the only trail of its kind on a university campus in the nation?
4. Did you know that Valdosta won a country-wide competition called Titletown USA, hosted by ESPN? The winning vote was based on Valdosta’s numerous national, conference, and division titles in multiple sports.
5. Did you know that in 2008 Valdosta State was involved in a lawsuit with a student? The student was withdrawn for protesting against the construction of two parking garages on campus, violating his First Amendment right. The student filed a lawsuit against VSU and won. VSU President at the time, Dr. Ronald Zaccari, was ordered by the court to pay the student an undisclosed amount of money.