This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

In the last couple of years, I’ve made some pretty intense changes in my life. I’ve had to reconnect with myself and figure out where I wanted my life to go, make a clear path to reach my new goals, and disconnect from a lot of the “noise” that wasn’t adding to my happiness. I’ve lost friends and parts of myself that no longer served me. As hard as it was for me to let those things go, it was the best thing I could do for myself and my future. I’ve always been a pretty conscious person, but it was a struggle to start my healing process. It’s hard to help yourself when you don’t know how to help. Often times it felt like I was alone on my journey. This ultimately led me to seek out other means of support, by burying myself in books. I came across a variety of them, but I want to share the five that I feel helped me the most.

The Untethered Soul by Michael A. Singer

This book really helped me to develop a better relationship with myself by making me more aware of my higher self. It talks about working through tough emotions and patterns that interfere with your inner peace.

The Mastery of Self by Miguel Ruiz Jr.

This book can help you to start recognizing the attachments you make to others and how to move through life being more open to change. It also talks about unconditional love for yourself.

Psychic Reiki by Brett Bevell 

This one might seem odd just by looking at the title, but it’s been a wonderful addition to my collection. Bevell teaches you the art of reiki in order to help with spiritual and emotional healing. 

If Life is a Game These are the Rules by Chérie Carter-Scott

Scott gives some amazing tips on how to be more open and accepting of yourself and what it actually means to be human. She talks about life, it’s lessons, showing gratitude, and understanding how everyone plays a part in your reflection of yourself. 

The Five Minute Journal 

For the last book, I chose The Five Minute Journal. For me, it was an easy way to start being more mindful in my life. With just a few simple questions, I was able to continuously and consciously show gratitude to help me learn to appreciate where I am in life. (Showing gratitude is a huge game changer)

It’s important to remember that none of these books are the end all to be all. These are just the ones that helped me get started on my journey, but there are definitely other places and ways that you can start. Find something that resonates with you and then go for it.

Viola Davis

Valdosta '20

"What is done in love is done well" -Vincent Van Gogh "This section is supposed to be a small portion about me and I feel like this quote from Van Gogh describes me to a t." Viola is a very loving person/artist, sensitive, and passionate about everything she does. Viola is an introverted soul trying something different, and wanting to share her interest with you. She's all over the place and tends to be a bit unorthodox but you'll enjoy it. Viola is an Art Education Major with a minor in Psychology. Her dream is to work in New York as an art therapist for children with special needs.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.