4 Tips for Surviving Your Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

When entering college one may not know what to expect. You’re filled with so many different emotions. For many of you, this may be the first time you’re away from your parents and completely on your own. So its completely normal for you to want to get the full college experience, but its important to stay focused and remember why you’re here.  Here are a few tips to help you stay on the right track and get through your freshman year.

1. Get involved on campus

It’s important to get involved on campus. It’s a great way to network and to meet like minded people, and of course it looks good on your resume. Join as many organizations as you want to, but don’t overwhelm yourself.

2. Go to class

Remember you’re here for an education so it’s safe to say that going to class is very important. Many people get caught up in all of the hype and forget why they’re here. Don’t let that be you, because you don’t want to fail your freshman year!

3. Get to know your professors

It’s important to get to know your professors. By showing them your work ethic and what kind of student you are it gives you a better chance of getting the recommendation you may need.

4. Be Safe

This may sound cliché, but it is important to be aware of your surroundings especially at parties.  Remember that not everyone has good intentions so always be aware! 

Enjoy your freshman year collegiates! HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.