4 Tips on Becoming a Better Writer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Writing is inevitable and is a big factor in our everyday lives. From resumes, to important documents, to business plans, some form of writing will be used daily. Below are some quick tips on how to improve your writing skills.

1. Formulate an idea

Brainstorming is essential! I cannot tell you how many times brainstorming has saved my life. Whether you make an outline, web or venn diagram, brainstorming allows you to organize your ideas. It will be so much easier to produce a great finished product when your ideas flow and are not jumbled together. Brainstorming also allows you to connect ideas that you would have never thought of before.

2. Critical Thinking

When writing, you want to try to tie in abstract ideas. Abstract ideas are those that get people thinking. These types of ideas are essential for writing because it adds some interest and creativity to your work. Creativity allows your work to stand out and it separates you from the ordinary.  A great piece always gets people to think outside of the box.

3. Proofreading

You always want to proofread ANY type of material that you publish. You want to eliminate as many grammatical errors as possible. You should be proud to have your name on your work, so make sure you take the time to correct any mistakes on your work. A good tip also is to proofread as you go along so that you won’t have to reread everything.

4. Join an organization

I joined Her Campus because not only do I enjoy writing I also wanted to improve my writing skills. Joining an org that encourages you to write is an awesome way to improve your writing skills. I have learned so much already and I have seen improvements on my papers for class. Also, employers would be thrilled to see that you have some experience with professional writing. Experience shows you could be a great asset to their company. 

I encourage anyone to try to improve their writing skills. Writing is a basic skill that is mandatory and the better you are at writing, the further you can get in life. No one is perfect so I don’t expect everyone to be a poet or creative writer. Take a chance and step out of your comfort zone to make improvements.

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.