4 Signs You’re In A Good Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Love is one of the most frustrating, worthwhile, scary, interesting, amazing feelings in existence. So how do you know when you’re in love? That I can’t tell you! It’s something that you just feel, there is no equivalent and explaining it to other people is a series of similies and anxious pauses because you just can’t articulate it without saying “I just love (insert name here).” Everyone wants to avoid getting hurt because it’s just no fun to cry over a broken heart. So before things get too real, it’s a great idea to evaluate the person you’re dating. Simply looking at them as if you’re not crazy over them. That will probably include asking yourself a wide range of tough questions that only you could have the answer to. Regardless, there are a few things that are key indicators that you are with a good person. 

1. They have special powers, but don’t take advantage

Don’t worry, I’m not talking wizardry or witchcraft!! I’m simply talking about the ability to have an effect on you that no one else can. Whether it be making you angrier than anyone else you know or making you open up in ways that you never have before. This person is truly special because of the fact that they can do these things, but within reason. When you’re with someone who truly loves you and respects you, they don’t use the power they have over you against you. While they may mess up on occasion or get on your last nerve (in the best way possible), their intentions are pure and that is quite obvious.

2. Your worrying is limited 

Maybe you’re worried about them, or maybe you’re worried for them, but either way it goes your amount of overthinking is at an all time high. That’s only natural when you care deeply about someone. However, this person won’t ever make you worry about where you stand with them! Worrying is a natural instinct that sets on when we’re unsure of what’s to come; but in a healthy and secure relationship, there should be a limit. Worrying about whether they had time to eat during their busy day and worrying about whether they have a side piece are two totally different things (the former is good, latter is bad). They will also have the ability to soothe any anxiety that you do have and they won’t have any problem doing so. Overall, they give you a sense of relief.

3. They’re your better half

Even if you and your boo aren’t quite at the stage of them “completing” you, it feels as though they at least have potential to. Halves and wholes make no difference; this is mainly about what they bring to the table. The person you love should make you better. I know, you’re already the best, but somehow Mr./Ms. Right have an extra portion of greatness to give you. They want success for you and will not only walk in that direction with you, but push you when you grow tired. Anything that they’re involved brings positive vibes and plenty of happiness to you and others. They are well aware that you would be just fine without them, but choose to focus on how they can benefit you instead. Being the best to you and for you is apparent in every way. 

4. They’ve earned bragging rights

Notice the word earned! All that they have done to get you and keep you has been praiseworthy. This certain someone deserves to a round of applause for their actions. We’re not talking about a sappy Instagram post–although, that does apply here–I’m talking about the real deal. Because they respect you, trust you, and have worked to make you happy, you feel the need to tell anyone who listens. They do not only display their care for you in public for all to see, but behind closed doors as well. You never shy away from the opportunity to talk about how this person treats you because you will always recieve good feedback. Even after their mistakes, you still have wonderful things to say about this one and on a consistent basis, too.  Just don’t be obnoxious about said bragging.

Of course the list goes on and on, but despite the list of standards you have set for yourself, these four things ALWAYS apply. A good guy or gal will never leave much room for doubt and will accumulate more brownie points than you ever thought possible. I like to think that a good and prosperous relationship is full of growth between the two people. Pay attention to your instincts because they hardly ever steer you wrong. You may feel apprehensive for a reason, but never negotiate your contentment.

HCXO!

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.