Natural Hair Girls: 4 Hairstyles for Wavy/Curly Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

“Going natural” has become veryyyyyyy (emphasis on the very) popular. However, many of us have many different textures of hair, so every style might not work for every head. You can refer back to my previous post “4 Steps to Start Your Natural Hair Journey” to help you figure out which texture you have. I myself have a looser curl (think AnnaLynne McCord), which would fall under the category of Wavy/Curly textures. Our type of hair doesn’t have as much “hold” as Kinky/Coily hair, so some of the popular styles for Kinky/Coily won’t stay put. But that’s okay, here are four natural hairstyles for wavy/curly hair textures!

1.      Wash ‘N’ Go   

The most popular style for us curly girls is the Wash ‘N’ Go! I personally love the Wash ‘N’ Go and wear this look pretty much every day.

How To: Start with completely wet hair. This may be easier to achieve right after you get out of the shower. You can also use a spray bottle, as long as you get your hair drenching wet for best results. After it’s completely wet, separate your hair into four sections. Use a leave-in conditioner of your choice and work the product through the sections making sure it is thoroughly distributed. *If you want more defined curls, you can finger coil the sections.* I recommend using an oil to seal in the moisture. I use coconut oil. Next, use a cotton t-shirt to scrunch your hair, removing the excess moisture. Depending on how much time you have, you can let your hair air dry or use a diffuser. Once it dries, you’ll have a beautiful Wash ‘N’ Go that should last you a few days. Remember to sleep on a satin pillowcase to preserve your moisture so you can rock third- and fourth-day hair!

2.      Fishtail Braid    

Fishtail braids take a little longer than regular braids, but they are definitely worth the extra effort. These braids look amazing on curly and wavy hair textures!

How To: To get this pretty style, separate your hair into two ponytails. Use leave-in conditioner, if necessary. Start with the left section of hair and pull a thin strand of hair from the outside of it under the right section of hair. Repeat on the right side, pulling a skinny strand of hair from the outside of the right section underneath the left section. Keep alternating sides until you reach the end of the braid. Tie the end with an elastic. I know this sounds very complicated if you are new to fishtailing, but there are plenty of tutorials that you can look up on YouTube!

3.      Flexi Rods   

Flexi rods are flexible, long rollers that give your hair sleek, long spiral curls. I love to use flexi rods on my hair when I don’t feel like doing a full out Wash ‘N’ Go for the week.

How To: This style works best if you start out with freshly washed and detangled hair. I prefer to do the flexi rod look on damp hair. It is completely optional if you want to add leave-in conditioner; this depends on how dry your hair typically gets. You DON’T want to add too much product because your curls will come out greasy once you take the rods out! Section your hair and start at the ends by rolling it around the flexi rod as you would a regular roller. Once you roll the hair all the way around the flexi rod, bend the ends of the flexi rod to keep it in place. Continue until all of your hair is rolled in flexi rods. Let your hair dry completely, then unroll all of the flexi rods. If you want, you can gently separate the curls to get more volume.

4.      Goddess Braid   

The Goddess braid is very similar to the crown twist that Lauren mentions in the hairstyle segment for Kinky/Coily hair. It is also an elegant and stylish up-do that is very easy to achieve. This look may work better for us with wavy and curly textures as opposed to the twist because braids are more stable and won’t fall out as easily as twists on our hair.

How To: Start with blow-dried/stretched hair. Make a deep side and crown part. Part the back down the middle. Slick down your edges with a gel of your preference and a brush. Use a leave-in conditioner if you think your hair needs it. Braid from your side part all the way around your head until you get to the back. Secure the end of your braid with an elastic. Continue with the other side of your side part and begin the process again in the opposite direction. Once you finish, you should end up with two braids going toward the back of your head. Cross the ends of the braids and tuck them under. Use bobby pins to secure.

All of these looks are beautiful and easy to achieve. Keep rocking out your natural hair ladies! Embrace what God gave you, because it is beautiful!

Hi! I'm Elena! I'm a junior at Valdosta State University from Carrollton, GA. I'm a Business Management and Marketing major with a minor in Spanish. I love fashion and beauty and am intrigued by naturally curly hair. #CurlyHairedGirlsRunTheWorld IG: @elenaChantel_ Twitter: @elenaChantel_ Tumblr: elenaChantel.tumblr.com
Her Campus at Valdosta State.