4 Cheap and Healthy Meals for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Eating right in college can be tough. With meal plans and tight budgets, we often think we don’t have enough money or time to eat and prepare healthy meals. Not to mention that a lot of diets out there don’t always have the tastiest options. Yes, eating healthy is hard but it’s not impossible, and it can also be delicious. If planned the right way you can enjoy meals for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even dessert, all without hurting your pockets.

1. Breakfast: The best way to start the day is to eat a healthy breakfast. Yogurt is always a great option. It’s light, filling, and is super cheap. The retail price for the Yoplait brand is 42 cents and they also have fat free options. If you are craving Greek yougurt, Oikos is also a great brand. It retails for only $1. To accompany your yougurt you can also add granola or fruit for more flavor. Another great option for the morning is oatmeal! It’s quick, easy, and delicious. The retail price for oatmeal ranges between $2-$4 depending on the brand.

2. Lunch: Nothing beats a salad! Your salad doesn’t have to only consist of lettuce and tomates, you can add: fruit, nuts, or grilled chicken. Grilled chicken strips can be found in the freezer aisle, and cost about $5 or less. Instead of salad dressing top your salad with lemon juice or light vinegar. Now instead of paying for a salad at McDonald’s, you can make one yourself!

3. Dinner: If you’re craving Italian for dinner, try some spaghetti but with less calories. Try using wheat noodles instead of white noodles. Also, adding fresh tomatoes to your sauce is another healthy options. Serve broccoli or any other vegetables on the side. These can also be found in the freezer aisle for a reasonable price. The best part is that all of these items can be found under $10.

4. Dessert: Eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to skip out on dessert! Ice cream is a classic dessert option. Try picking up Greek or low fat ice cream treats. The brand Skinny Cow has tasty ice cream, ice cream sandwhiches and other yummy frozen treats for under $4! You can enjoy the flavor of ice cream and half the calories.

Eating right doesn’t have to be hard or boring. With proper planning and the right budget, eating healthy can be easy. Try writing out meals to help with planning. Also, get your friends involved and come up with meals. Remember, along with eating right, drink plenty of water, exercise daily, and get a decent amount of sleep!

HCXO!

I am a third year student at UGA and an intended broadcast journalism major.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.