3 things I Wished I Knew Before My 20’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

I thought I would make an article for these almost twentysomething college kids that are in this totally awkward phase of life. The 20’s are the part of life that, as adults, we are expected to learn how to build upon something everlasting. Everyone is different in their growth in life. As humans, we are forever growing and expanding; especially through the decades of adulthood. Here are some of the things I wish I knew before I turned 20 to pass on to you!

1. It is okay to not have your life together:
  • Graduating high school at 18 is already hard enough, but having to figure out EVERYTHING is crazy. This thought can be frustrating, but it is okay not to have your whole life figured out. I thought I was going to join the FBI as a field agent and be a behavior analysis, but here I am in school for social media and marketing. Your interests change over time and you do not have to follow the “societal norm” of having one career. YOU CAN HAVE MULTIPLE PASSIVE incomes in the near future with a degree!
2. Learn to love yourself:
  • Someone out there will always be prettier, smarter, or faster than you. That was a hard reality I had to face. Discrimination is real. You can always combat it by loving who you are because no one is perfect! You can be plus-size or petite, black or white, gay or straight, everyone will have their own opinion. Loving yourself is the best thing you can do to combat the fear of never being good enough because you are!

3. Four Year College isn’t for everyone:
  • In middle school and high school getting into a four-year college is drilled into your heads. Having a four-year college education is supposed to mean a great paying job, but that is not always the case. Having a degree can give you access to certain careers, BUT that does not mean you go into debt getting said degree or lifestyle. You can go to trade school, community college, etc. Those schools can give you the same qualifications with experience. Do your research and DO what is best for you!

These are some of the things I wish I knew before entering my 20’s and living my best life. I hope some of these tips help! Remember that growth is always going on around you, even if you’re young!

– HXCO

Nicolette is a junior at Valdosta State University, majoring in Communications with an emphasis in social media and interpersonal. She is also a digital content creator and freelance writer for Thought Catalog. Nicolette is also an avid coffee drinker, animal lover, and anime/marvel fanatic. Nicolette has a passion for catching up with the latest social media trends, writing and networking. Her dream career would be a social media manager or marketing coordinator.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.