burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

3 Items to Have in Your Closet this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Hey beautiful ladies!

Fall is among us! Scratch that. Fall is among some of us. We here at Her Campus Valdosta have entered Summer II and we are MELTING, you hear me? Human popsicles if you will. Only time we’re in a cold environment is if the buildings our classes/events/dorm rooms are in have A/C. It’s a hit or miss down here, but luckily, we are (barely) making it!

Since technically we’ve all entered into the season of fall, it’s important to dress for the part. No more Daisy Dukes or tank tops. No more flip flops. No more mini skirts (unless you pair them with some cute leggings). Time to break out the light jackets, jeans, scarves, sweaters and nice stylish boots (if you must).

I know there have been plenty of articles giving detail to which items to have in order to look fall-ready. They’re cute, but some of us wear most of those things year-round, and it defeats the point of FALL wear.

So, here are three items you MUST have in your closet this Fall.

1. A Denim jacket

Hold on. Just hear me out. I know they can be worn year-round, but denim jackets? A FALL STAPLE. I love a nice sturdy denim jacket. If you wanna be a fashionista, decorate it with pins and such. If you’re a tomboy like me, dress it up with a hoodie. I live for a hoodie + denim jacket combo! Denim jackets scream hayrides and bonfires for me, especially since I’m a Georgia girl, and fall = pumpkin patches and cold nights.  Denim jackets can be worn with ANYTHING. I will say, in my opinion, if you’re gonna wear a denim jacket, pair it with pants made of different material and/or different colors. “Denim suits” are somewhat still in, but the offset of the jacket with the pants makes any outfit FIRETRUST ME.

2.Overalls, or Dungarees

Yes, I know. Overalls can be worn year-round. The long ones are the main focus for Fall. Whenever I think about overalls, I think about scarecrows. Corn maze type vibes. Overalls made with any material will work for this season. You can pair them with an old shirt, a plaid button up, or even switch the shoe game up a little bit. If you’re a fashionista, pair it with some nice heels or even a stylish flat. For my tomboys out there, a Timberland boot, some stylish Converse or even some Vans will set this look AWF, you feel me? Fall is the season for fashion, warmth and comfort.

3.Sweatshirt/Sweater

I get it, all of these items aren’t Fall exclusive, but if you’ve made it this far, you’re digging my selections. I know that Fall doesn’t necessarily bring freezing temperatures, but we do expect a nice little breeze here and there. A perfect sweater/sweatshirt is definitely an essential item to have in your closet. These can take the place of a denim jacket any day, but if you’re someone who likes to layer, this is definitely a cute way to do so. When thinking about any of these items, very earthy tones like brown, green, and even orange will pair nicely with these things.  Vintage sweatshirts/sweaters will have you out here looking like those 2011 Tumblr girls–the aesthetic that some of us still live by.  A nice tip for finding a sweatshirt/sweater is to hit up any local (TRUSTWORTHY AND REASONABLE) thrift shop; that way, you can be that girl to stand out with all the rare gems!

So ladies!

If you have all three of these items, you’re set! If not, that’s still okay, but having these three will definitely take your fashion sense to the next level for the season! We stan a poppin’ closet!

With love + comfy style,

-Marissa Auriell

HCXO!

Dom Pollard

Valdosta '22

Dom is a sophomore, majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies with concentrations in African American Studies and Sociology. They plan on doing work in either education, activism, film, or all three. They are a queer individual who speaks their mind and provides love + other elements to bring perspective to HERCampus Valdosta. HCXO!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.