This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Look, I can truthfully say that every starting in 2012 I have been one of those people who proclaims that, “It’s my year”. I make a list of resolutions and stick to them for maybe a month. But listen to me when I say that this year is really yours. How do I know? After looking at the events of 2016, I feel like everything can only go up from here. So here are 3 reasons why 2017 is your year:

`1. You made it through 2016

If you made it into the new year alive then you’re already destined for potential greatness. 2016 was a rough year in many aspects so the fact that you made it through some events, that will surely be talked about is history books, is a miracle within itself.

2. New year, new you

Okay I get that it’s the oldest saying in the book but it’s actually truthful. With a new year in the works you can become a better person in whatever part of your life that you choose. You might even choose to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Regardless of what you choose let 2017 be the year that you take control and succeed.

3. Selfish is the new trend

Now more than ever people understand that being selfish while you’re a young adult is important. This is the year to say “no” to people pleasing and “yes” to pleasing your ambitions. Be selfish, be sassy and be independent.

You have 12 months, 52 weeks and 365 days to live the life you want, so this year is the year to conquer  all your  dreams,  

Rineta is a Speech Communication major at Valdosta State University, with an emphasis in public relations. She aspires to have a career in sports media relations one day. In her free time she enjoys binge watching shows written by Shonda Rimes on Netflix, reading professional athlete autobiographies and being the friend who laughs too much. Follow her- IG/Twitter: _rrainey
Her Campus at Valdosta State.