20 Throwback Jams To Get You Ready For The Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

“It’s Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday!” The weekend is what everyone looks forward to after a long and stressful week! So, relax, kick off your shoes, vibe and get ready for the weekend with these 20 throwback jams from the 90s to the early 2000s!

1. Dance Tonight – Lucy Pearl

Off the Love and Basketball soundtrack, this song emits good vibes from every speaker and headphone. It’s the perfect song to listen to after getting paid (besides “Just Got Paid” by Johnny Kemp, of course). Turn it up and get ready for a great drama-free night this weekend with good people!

2. After Party – Koffee Brown

Who could possibly forget this neo-soul hit off their 2001 album, Mars/Venus. This song is perfect to ride to in the car on the way home (you’ll forget you’ve been sitting in rush hour traffic for the past half hour!)

3. U Know What’s Up – Donnell Jones ft. Lisa Lefteye Lopes

You know what’s up when this song comes on! This 1999 throwback featured on the Save The Last Dance soundtrack will have you ready to step out with your friends tonight!

4. Get It On Tonite – Montell Jordan

A follow-up to his classic house party hit “This Is How We Do It,” “Get It On Tonite” will make you feel grown and sexy this weekend without even trying!

5. Hey Mr. Dj – Zhane

This beautiful dynamic duo from the 90s spoke to young souls across the globe when they said, “It’s Friday night and the weekend’s here, I need to unwind. Where’s the party?”

6. Go Deep – Janet Jackson

Janet (Miss Jackson if You’re Nasty) had us wanting to party all night with her in this 1998 classic off her critically acclaimed album, Velvet Rope.

7. Back and Forth- Aaliyah

“It’s Fridaaay!” Aaliyah lets us know exactly who the L-I-Y-A-H is with this classic 1994 single off her debut album, Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number. And who could forget about the dance in the video?!

8. Don’t Think I’m Not – Kandi

Prior to her successful television career, Kandi encouraged ladies going through a rough patch in a relationship to get up, get out, and get yours!

9. Shorty Swing My Way – KP & Envyi

Everyone can relate to this song at some time or another. This song tells the story of spotting a cutie in the club (or party) and not letting him slip away! Don’t let that happen this weekend!

10. Big Poppa, The Notorious B.I.G.

RIP to the late and great Christopher Wallace. Biggie said it best: leave the drama and fighting at home for the sake of the ladies this weekend!

11. Loungin – LL Cool J ft. Total

Perhaps one of the smoothest collabs of the 90’s, lounge to this 1996 hit this weekend!

12. Return of The Mack – Mark Morrison

Despite this song being about getting cheated on, you can’t help but sing along to this funky hit. Heck, it’s the weekend!

13. No Diggity – Blackstreet ft. Dr. Dre & Queen Pen

“Hey-yo hey-yo hey-yoooo” it’s the weekend! This soulful jam will undoubtedly have you bopping your head as you get ready to go out!

14. Where The Party At- Jagged Edge ft. Nelly

You’re bound to ask this question at some point this weekend, so why not sing it along with Jagged Edge with their 2001 party single?!

15. U Don’t Have To Call – Usher

Usher told us that being single on the weekend isn’t bad at all! Feel young and stress-free when you go out this weekend!

16. Jumpin Jumpin- Destiny’s Child

Leave the boo-thing at home ladies. It’s 11:30 and the club is jumpin’!

17. Feelin So Good – Jennifer Lopez ft. Fat Joe and Big Pun

Long live Big Pun! This 1999 classic from J.Lo reminds you how great living life and the weekend really are!

18. My Boo – Ghost Town DJ’s

If this upbeat 1996 throwback doesn’t get you in the mood to hit the party scene with your crew, then your speakers may need some adjusting (I’m just sayin’!).

19. Okay – Nivea

Feelin’ good? feelin’ great? Of course, it’s the weekend!

20. Back to Life – Soul II Soul

Save this song for Sunday for when it’s back to reality!

Add these songs to a playlist and have fun this weekend! You deserve it!

21 Mass Media Major at Valdosta State :)
Her Campus at Valdosta State.