This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Yes, it is still September. Yes, I am giving a list of Netflix shows and movies fit for fright night! Here they are:

1. Black Mirror (2011-)

This Netflix original series exhibits a series of dystopian societies, focusing on the dangers of technology and also the dangers of the human mind. While this show can be classified as more of a thriller genre, the scenarios of some episodes are bone-chilling and can give anybody a serious case of the goosebumps. If you are a sci-fi fan but skeptical of this show, I can assure you it is not a disappointment. 

Seasons: 5 

Rated: TV-MA

Spook Rating: 4/10

2. Black Summer (2019-)

It is still early into the zombie apocalypse, but most people are dead set in seeking refuge. Even though they are all strangers, their lives play big roles in each other’s stories. This is no generic setting you’re used to. I find the plot raw, gritty and the settings all-too-realistic. This is high up on my list of personal recommendations. 

Seasons: 1

Rated: TV-MA

Spook Rating: 6/10

3. DreamWorks Spooky Stories (2009)

If you find yourself stuck babysitting on Halloween, this is the top choice for a little one to watch. It features character favorites, such as Shrek and the Monsters in all of their ghostly shenanigans. This is the mildest choice on the list, so I hope you can handle it!

Seasons: 1

Rated: TV-PG

Spook Rating: 1/10

4. Extremely Wicked Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019)

This film reenactment starring Zac Efron takes the audience through the multiple perspectives of Ted Bundy’s life, pre-crime to post-courtroom. Specifically, this film portrays Bundy’s relationship with a single mother, Liz, and the struggles she endured being romantically tied to this famous killer. This film is more than a documentary, it is a performance of macabre scenarios of a killer unlike any other. 

Runtime: 1h 50m

Rated: R

Spook Rating: 5/10

5. Hannibal (2013-2015)

In the mood for a re-vamped classic? You’re in luck! Creator Bryan Fuller brings back the classic film character, Hannibal Lecter in this 39-episode crime-drama. I must warn readers that this series does feature gore and lots of it. It is not a show you want to have a pizza party over, to say the least. But otherwise, this is a series that always keeps you on your toes!

Seasons: 3

Rated: TV-MA

Spook Rating: 8/10

6. Haunting of Hill House (2018-)

Growing up with five children in one house already sounds like a handful. But when the mansion is lurking with dark spirits malevolent in their use of power, it leads to unforgettable experiences that haunt the children to this date. The concept for this show was loosely based on a Shirley Jackson novel with the same title, and follows two different timelines of the five siblings, leading up to their grand escape from the country’s most haunted estate.

Seasons: 1

Rated: TV-MA 

Spook Rating: 9/10

7. iZombie (2015-2019)

Not ready for a full fright night just yet? This series is one to laugh at! iZombie follows medical student, Liv Moore in her undead transformation and the aftereffects of becoming a zombie. While she satisfies her cravings for the brain in the night, she pursues her career at the morgue and finds another noteworthy difference in her character: the ability to solve crimes.

Seasons: 5

Rated: TV-MA

Spook Rating: 3/10

8. My Babysitter’s a Vampire (2010)

If you want something entertaining for the whole family, this Disney original is one to sink your teeth into! Ethan Morgan and his friends find themselves sucked into a whole new world when their parents leave Ethan and his younger sister with an impromptu babysitter, Sarah. As if being watched as a fifteen-year-old was not nightmare enough, he is about to discover something sinister about Sarah.

Runtime: 1h 20m

Rated: TV-PG

Spook Rating: 2/10

9. Splice (2009)

At first, I was laughing at this movie simply from the lines in the script but the further I traversed into the plot, the more horrifying it became. When these two scientists create an unorthodox experiment, resulting in the discovery of a cross-bred species unknown to man, countless lines are crossed. This film left me laughing, shrieking, and gaping in awe all within an hour and a half. If you are a sci-fi fanatic who is good at brushing off the small details, I recommend giving this a watch. 

Runtime: 1h 43m

Rated: R

Spook Rating: 6.5/10

10. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (2018-)

Follow half-witch, half-human Sabrina, and all of the mischievous quests she gets up to in her everyday life. Balancing two worlds is just as difficult as it sounds, especially when you’re only a teenager.

Seasons: 3

Rated: TV-14

Spook Rating: 4.5/10

11. The Platform (2019)

Set in a dystopian form of a prison, a slab of food is brought down to hundreds of levels to each prisoner…but not everybody gets to eat. This psychological horror-thriller is a top recommendation of mine and one I suggest watching multiple times. There are several messages buried deep within the dialogue and character development and it is not often that I find an international film that I enjoy. This film, however, is one of my favorites in terms of horror.

Runtime: 1h 34m

Rated: TV-MA

Spook Rating: 7/10

12. Truth or Dare (2017)

This teen scream turns a perfect party game to a nightmare when eight friends rent a haunted house on Halloween. The lifelong memories they were hoping to make that night, might not be one’s worth looking back on. If you don’t do the dare, the dare does you. Who will be the last person standing?

Runtime: 1h 28m

Rated: TV-MA

Spook Rating: 8/10

13. You (2018-)

Joe Goldberg has found a recent infatuation with Guinevere Beck. After one chance encounter, he is willing to risk anything for her. The murderers committed in this show are not such a mystery, but the series is one that will keep you on your couch for a large portion of your day. Like Hannibal, this might not be a show you want to eat dinner to, as many scenes feature violence and graphic images. 

Seasons: 2

Rated: TV-MA

Spook Rating: 5.5/10

Hope these give you quite the scare!

Bobs Burger
Giphy

Demi Lotz

Valdosta '24

VSU Freshman who loves writing, animals, and Italian food!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.