This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

As long as we’re alive, we never stop getting old. Call me Captain Obvious, but this is a fact that is so easy to forget when you’re busy living and being! Some things really just put your age into perspective…like when you’re called ma’am or sir by a child more than half your age. While you’re busy trying to convince them that you’re NOT old and being twenty-something isn’t worthy of the Ms./Mr. prefix, it starts to make a little sense why they think you’re so ancient. Sometimes it’s comforting and sometimes unsettling. In this case, let’s celebrate being the age that you are! Nothing can lift your spirits like hearing good music or being able to walk down memory lane to a time when particular songs were popular. Allow me to take you back to a time when CD players and Hit Clips were all the rage, yes, I’m talking about the early 2000’s. I love rediscovering things that I used to be crazy about–whether it be tunes or gadgets. It’s like, “Oh yeahhh, I forgot how much I once loved this; let me love it again momentarily and then likely forget about it again.”

Below is a list of only a FEW of the great songs from more than a decade ago that you should listen to right now. For an instant mood-boost type these gems in the YouTube search box:

1. Baby It’s You – JoJo ft. BowWow

2. So Yesterday – Hilary Duff

3. My Love – Justin Timberlake ft. T.I.

4. Bootylicious – Destiny’s Child

5. My Humps – Black Eyed Peas

6. Before He Cheats – Carrie Underwood

7. Move Your Body – Nina Sky

8. What A Girl Wants – Christina Aguilera

9. Shake Ya Tailfeather – Nelly

10. Get This Party Started – Pink

#NeverForget it was a time when the fashion  choices were layered polo shirts, tall white t’s, high top Air Force One’s, bulky hoop earrings, mini jean shorts, and du-rags.

The list could go on and on and on and on some more. Think back to the songs that were your anthems in 2nd or 3rd grade (when you didn’t even need an anthem); you’re guaranteed to smile! The artists may stop making music and the groups may dissolve, but their hits will remain forever! Thanks for the memories, Early 2000’s; I wonder which songs we’ll be reflecting on 10 years from now. 2026 isn’t all that far away…

HCXO!

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.