This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

So recently I’ve had to deal with your typical “boy toy.” You know you hear things about someone and you just want to simply give that person the benefit of the doubt. My advice to you DON’T.  In fact, I know that we are only 3 weeks into 2017, but I’ve already been played. I’m usually really open to creating friendships with guys, however they just seem to constantly lie about something. I’ve found it incredibly hard to keep my friendships or relationships with guys because I am almost always catching them in a lie. I am so over it and I’m really not here for it. Now, I’m not saying all guys are like this, but the vast majority of them are just out here to waste your time. It’s time to expose these dudes and their lies. So here is some of the garbage that guys love to fill our heads with. 

1. “You’re the only girl I’m talking to”

Okay, this line right here gets me every single time. I know you want to think that you are the only girl that he’s talking to, but lets get real. Until he actually commits to a relationship, you should never just assume you’re the only one. We’re in college and you are probably one of many. Ever wonder why he’s going to sleep at 8pm on a Friday night and your conversations are getting duller by the second? Hm, might want to check and see if theres another chick in the equation. 

2. “I didn’t see your text”

Alright, this is just the dumbest text message I’ve ever come across. I know you have your notifications on just like me. Do you ever wonder why he posted a snap chat story 2 minutes ago yet he “didn’t read” your text that you sent hours ago? He probably saw your text and just didn’t have the time or energy to respond. He clearly doesn’t value your time or efforts. Just learn to accept things for how they are and keep it moving. 

3. “I was with the guys”

Okay, we completely understand that you were “with the guys”, but that doesn’t mean that we are any less important than your friends. We are just as human and important as your friends. In fact, I saw your snap chat story. I didn’t realize your “guy friends” were 5’2, with long brunette hair, wearing black yoga pants, and ugg boots. 

4. “I really like you”

This is such a cliche line. Okay, I get that you might possibly “really like me”, but he could “really like” someone else as well. It’s extremely hard to decipher a man’s true intentions until you get to know them. So just be really careful before you fall head over heels for a guy who added you to a list of potential conquests. 

5. “I’ve never felt this way about anyone else”

This can be a 50/50 lie. If he’s ever been in a relationship prior he probably has said this to his once “love of his life”. I know everyone has gone through that stage, but just be mindful of who he’s actually been with before you. You know that feeling after you break up with someone you thought you were going to spend the rest of your life with and then you swear you’re never going to find love again. I promise you that you will, because I can’t tell you how many times I’ve fallen in and out of love. 

6. “I will never do anything to hurt you”

Guys will always hurt you. I’ve noticed that guys are so incredibly reckless with their ways and it takes them such a long time to mature. Never trust a guy with your heart and do not to be so trusting with your feelings either. Why would you hand a guy a gun thats already loaded with amunition? Guard your heart, because odds are you’ll be the only one left to pick up the pieces. 

7. “Lets just cuddle”

Okay, so I know “Netflix and Chill” has become a huge thing, but honestly when guys ask to just come over and cuddle its never just cuddling. I’ve had my fair share of inviting dudes over  literally just to cuddle and they almost always take it as “hey I want sex”. Nice try. If a guy ever asks about cuddling, tell them your intentions and make sure they get the hint if you’re not down for typical  “Netflix and Chill.” If anything, when I invite guys over I always say “Hey, lets Netflix and Chill without the chill.” This way it keeps the friendship in tact and miscommunication to a minimum. 

8. “She is just a friend”

Okay, let me start off by stating I just hope guys know that WE WERE NOT BORN YESTERDAY. I swear guys think that we are stupid and oblivious to the obvious. Okay so usually this other girl is someone he is also seeing or he refers to her as his “best friend”. Honestly, I see no problem with a dude having a girl best friend, but if they have ever had a sexual history together then I just don’t think I could ever look past that. Be careful when getting invovled with a guy who has a girl “best friend”, because most likely your relationship problems and concerns will always get back to her as well. 

9. “You’re the best thing to ever happen to me”

I know this is an incredibly sweet line, however it’s usually just used in the sense of a guy just trying to get you in bed. Don’t confuse his sweet words with his actions. Let me tell you girl, those actions speak louder than words. Stop making excuses for how he treats you. 

10. “I love you”

Lastly, the typical “I love you”. I feel as if this phrase has lost its meaning and credibility just because its thrown around so often. I don’t think people really think about the context that they use it in either. This can make it difficult to differentiate the actual meaning. If you think he is saying I love you just to say I love you, he probably is. As a matter of a fact, I had a guy tell me he loved me while we were having sex. Yeah, I don’t know what was more awkward, that or how bad the sex was. Anyway, just keep in mind that “I love you” are just three words that can actually be completely meaningless. 

In all reality, most of the things that come out of a man’s mouth is complete garbage. I just hope you are really careful and now you can sit back, relax and just enjoy all the lies men tell.

HCXO! 

Akia Lloyd is a first-year student at Valdosta State University. She is currently an undeclared major and she is from Atlanta, Georgia. Akia's hobbies include writing, reading poetry and various novels, working out, and watching netflix. She is determined to find a career that aims to help people and better society. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.