UW-Milwaukee’s Water Ski Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

My name is Chelsey Knuth, and I am currently the Girls Team Captain for the Milwaukee Waterski Club here at UWM! We are one of about 20 sport clubs run by University Recreation (UREC) at the Klotsche Center. Our club has been around for many years and is continuing to expand its presence on the UWM campus!

Our team is open to skiers of all abilities, including those looking to try the sport for the very first time! We compete in 3-event collegiate waterski competitions during both the fall and spring semesters, and each competition has both an “A” division for more experienced skiers and a “B” division for those who are newer to competition. Our three events include slalom, trick, and jump. We also have opportunities for those who enjoy wakeboarding and knee boarding!  

Each fall, we usually attend two tournaments as a team throughout the Midwest. Going to tournaments provides incredible opportunities for us to get on the water and watch those who are more experienced than us to see what we can learn from them. I was once told by one of my coaches that we should always be “inspired, not intimidated” by those who have more experience in an activity than we do. That mentality, which is very present at our ski tournaments, allows all of the teams to practice good camaraderie and cheer each other on! We also try to attend a tournament or two in the spring if the weather permits.

I have personally found collegiate water skiing to be one of the most memorable aspects of my college experience so far. I have met some of my closest friends here and simultaneously have found a group of people who want to get out on the water and ski as much as I do! When I fall, my teammates are there to give me advice and encouragement, and when I master a new trick, get around another buoy, or land a longer jump, I can hear them cheering all the way from shore!

I am so thankful to have found a place to practice my favorite sport during college in an atmosphere and with peers who are extremely supportive and encouraging! For those who want to get involved with sports in college but feel they cannot commit the time to an NCAA team or do not have the skill to do so, club sports are where those skills can be improved upon in a time frame that is manageable for full-time students!

If you are looking to get involved in a club on-campus, please feel free to reach out to me crknuth@uwm.edu or another member of the club to get information on joining! We would love to have you!

Meet Lauren Nelson: A woman with a humanitarian heart from a small town chasing after her concrete jungle ambitions.