This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

Finals signal the ending of the semester. And they make you want to disappear into a faraway land and become a sheepherder or to get hit by an on-campus bus. In order to dissuade this oncoming panic from studying and preparing for your important finals; effective notes are what I have found to be the most helpful studying tool when preparing for exams. A good set of notes can make or break whether you understand the material that is going to be presented on the test or not knowing your left from right. Luckily! Here are a few ways in which you can prepare and study effectively to kick your finals butts!

Some people think that the prettier the notes you have the better you will be or the more information that you can cram into the notes the better prepared you will be. Neither is correct. Yes having pretty notes can be a nice thing to look at but if it does not contain key information that you need than it does not help you in the long run. On the other hand, if you have too much information your brain can’t possibly retain all of it when trying to cram for a final.

When I take notes I like to use the Cornell style (as depicted above) for note taking. It helps me reduce the amount of information that I have been given into smaller fragments and helps me organize the information in a meaningful way. On the left-hand side of my notes, I write questions that I may have, examples that we covered in lecture, and definitions of key terms. By breaking my notes down into different parts it helps me differentiate key terms or ideas that we have covered over the whole course. 

I sometimes see people with note cards that are just overflowing with information. There will be literally no blank space left on the note card because it is just crammed with teeny-tiny handwriting. When I make note cards I try to make them very short and sweet. I personally do not like memorizing lengthy definitions. So when making my flash cards I shortly summarize definitions of key terms or ideas into my own words. By doing this I can memorize smaller bits of information more rapidly and remember the key details of the terms. 

Another thing that I have found that helps me study is by going back through my notes and re-writing them. By re-writing what we learned in class that day it helps me keep that information fresh in my mind. I am able to go through and re-organize my notes and pick out which information is more important than other pieces. Repetition of newly acquired information is key to remembering and retaining it in your memory. As shown in the picture above it says that newly learned information is halved in a matter of days unless we review it. Having a schedule of when you are going to study is a great way to relieving anxiety and stress about finals that are coming. 

If you still do not understand information after reviewing your notes or have questions about information that you have covered in your classes there are resources on campus that you should take full advantage of! Talking to either your TA’s, teachers, SSI leaders or even going to review sessions in the library will help you be prepared for your finals. They all are there to help you and want to see you succeed! Being overly prepared for a final is better than not being prepared at all. Using these FREE resources on campus should be a no-brainer.

Don’t let finals overwhelm you. Be prepared for your finals and study! Study, study, study! Do not put off studying, you will regret it! You are not only studying for your classes but you are preparing for your future! The more information you know today the better off you will be in the long run. Use these study tips and resources on campus to make your finals a breeze. 

Ashley is a Senior at the University Wisconsin Milwuakee where she is majoring in Human Rescource Management. She is currently the President for the University of Wisconsin Milwaukees HerCampus chapter. Outside of HerCampus Ashley is PR Manager and brand ambassador for Love Your Melon! She enjoys all the fun volunteering oppurtunities with the kiddos and within her community that Love Your Melon has to offer. During her free time you can find her passing time watching Netflix or diving into a good book.