Pounce’s Response to ‘Not my mascot’ article

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) somewhat reconstructed the graphic drawing of the school’s well-known mascot, Pounce the Panther, this past semester. Though Pounce’s look will remain the same when you see him around campus or at sporting events; the graphic you may see online or print-advertisements may look a bit different. Many would say that this acute change is a topic unnecessary for journalistic writing, we would agree. However, after the release of the new Pounce graphic some UWM students were against the change. 

According to an opinion article from Media Milwaukee (UWM student generated news site), Pounce’s new look does not fully represent the UWM student body. The writer of the article was so offended by the changes that the actual title was “Not My Mascot: Opinion Column.” Yes, this is a real thing, the title of the article may be in relation to the ‘not my president’ saying that started when Donald Trump was elected. A comical comparison, we know. After this article was posted on social media many UWM students expressed their thoughts on the topic. However, there is one voice that we had not yet heard regarding Pounce’s slight change and the negative feedback following it–the furry panther himself. Luckily, we got to sit down with the Pounce to discuss his thoughts about the changes and critiques.  

The t-shirt wearing panther told us he usually prefers to keep his thoughts to himself (he believes the less conversation the better, that’s why he’s always silent when you run into him, kind of a Ron Swanson type of guy). However, Pounce had a few things to say, with some roars here and there, about his new appearance and the opinion piece written about him.  

“I had a lot of fun this summer lounging at Bradford beach and hanging with my favorite cats on the Eastside, but Ian’s Pizza every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night really did a number on my waistline. That’s why I promised myself this semester to work out more at the K and maybe show off an ab or two (or six). What’s wrong with getting in shape? The shoulders are a little exaggerated, I give the article that, but I couldn’t fix the graphic before it was submitted because…well…I have paws” explained Pounce. 

We asked the panther if he believed he should have the responsibility to represent UWM students. He simply responded, “No, I’m a panther, I don’t really know how to represent humans—I have whiskers. However, if the students gave as many high-fives and hugs to one another as I do at just one basketball game, I think we would all represent a happier campus.”  

Pounce is simply a panther with one goal in mind—to rev up students’ pride and moral at our university and within ourselves. Next time you want to criticize our beloved Pounce, remember that he is just a mascot and there are much bigger issues to worry about.  

Just a midwestern girl with big dreams of traveling the world and being successful at what ever I put my heart and mind to. Fashion and politics are my areas of interest, but who doesn't love a good Bachelor in Paradise recap or cute puppy ranking?