A List of Thank You’s Dedicated to My Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

Growing up, my parents didn’t want to be our best friends with no rules, nor did they want to be our worst enemy with all rules. They simply just wanted to be, my Mom and Dad. Recently, I have gathered a list of thank you’s for my parents who my siblings and I have so much to be thankful for.

Thank you for teaching the importance of being polite and proper manners.

Thank you for teaching me to use ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ in every given situation. Who knew a ‘please’ and a ‘thank you’ could go a long way. Not only does this show respect, but you taught us it’s common courtesy. It’s the right thing to do. You’ll get further in life, form stronger relationships and get higher in your career if you just take the time to show manners. For example, If someone makes you dinner you never leave them with a mess and walk away. From the time I was a preschooler, you taught me to help clean up in return for the meal I was provided with. In the end, showing manners gives you such a positive and more confident attitude. 

Thank you for making me put my phone away when you were trying to hold a conversation with me and for limiting my distractions.  

When I was a teenager, my whole life revolved around my phone. It was glued to my hand and my nose was constantly in it. Thank you for telling me to put my phone away when I was in the front seat of the car while you were driving. Thank you for telling me to put the phone away when we were having a conversation in the kitchen or living room. I’ve come to realize eye-contact and face-to-face communication is so valuable these days. Thanks to you, I have taught myself to put my phone away when I am meeting with someone else. I now see the rudeness and disrespect you once brought up when someone sits on their phone when you’re trying to hold a conversation with them. 

Thank you for giving us a list of options other then TV for when we said we were bored.

On a Sunday afternoon, we would find ourselves just wanting to sit around and do nothing. Instead of allowing us to sit in front of the TV for hours at a time, you told us to: go read a book, go for a walk, go build something, or go play a game with someone. Although we would moan and fuss about it, I am so thankful for limiting TV privileges. You taught me how to get up, go out and see the world. You taught me how to take risks, take chances and never give up on something. You taught me to see the world with my imagination. 

Thank you for giving me spending money but teaching me how to use it wisely.

When a friend would ask us to go to the movies, we went straight to you asking for some cash. You’d give us an amount, say that was all you were getting for a week or two and we’d be off. The next thing you know, we’ve spent it all. Thank you for not constantly supplying us with unlimited amounts of spending money. You taught us the importance of saving and budgeting in order to make our money last. In college, I’ve come to realize my whole life revolves around a budget. If I overspend, I can’t pay rent or eat. This is a lesson I’m constantly having to remind myself about. I’m grateful your response for when I asked for more money was “then go out and get a job.” I learned making money you earned yourself gives you a feeling of strength and hard work. You’ll do anything to make that money last. 

Thank you for unlimited amounts of hugs and support. 

Whether we were mad at you, you were mad at us, disappointed in us or we were too cool to be seen with you, thank you constantly saying ‘I love you’ at the end of the day. It was a reminder that no matter what happened, your love and support would never change. On a bad day, all I think about is quitting. I overthink everything and come to the conclusion my life will never improve. When my phone chimes with a text from you, it’s a reminder that I have a purpose in life. That purpose is to keep pushing forward no matter how complicated life gets. You didn’t raise a young woman who quits and drops everything just because of one bad day. You raised a fighter, and a young woman who isn’t afraid to get knocked down from life once in awhile. You raised a young woman full of strength, confidence, responsibility and heart full of love. 

Thank you for everything, Mom and Dad. I love you both so much. 

Just a 22-year-old Wisconsin college student with a whole lot of Minnesota pride. You can catch me serving coffee, watching netflix and exploring as many new places as I can.